Chapter 6 - Argentum

Dedicated to rinvar for all your wonderful support and kind words. Thank you so much! 

6.

Argentum

Reth watched as the silver eyed named Deneck sat down where his ser had been.

“Hello there, Reth,” he said.

He stared at him.

“It’s alright to speak if you want,” Deneck spoke again.

Speak? Reth thought. But my ser ordered me to listen.

“You can do more than listen.”

Reth watched as the other silver eyed leaned on the table and rested his chin on the palm of his hand. He could hear his stubble scratch the cloth of his gloves. Reth saw there were wrinkles by his eyes and lips that suggested he laughed and smiled a lot. His relaxed posture gave a sense of warmth. When he spoke, his voice was neither stiff nor cold. This silver eyed was not like the ones from the Instituo.

Reth frowned.

Deneck smiled. “Instituo or Militar?”

He decided to speak after all. “Instituo.”

He nodded. “Same as myself. Though most of us are from the Instituo since that is where we are trained for our partners.”

Reth stared.

Deneck smiled again. “It is quite alright to speak. Ser Rayoss will not chastise you for it.”

He narrowed his eyes. Reth noticed Deneck smiled a lot between his words. It was odd.

“I understand your hesitation,” the other silver eyed said. “I used to think like you when I was first paired with Ser Aldermeck, but I also noticed the other silver eyes around me weren’t like the ones in the Instituo we were trained with. You are probably realizing that as well.”

Deneck lifted his head from his palm. “I smile too much, speak too much, and push you too much to technically break an order.”

Reth stiffened.

“Don’t take all Ser Rayoss says literally. I know what I say may not make sense at the moment, but you will learn to read through her words and better serve her. Do not wait for her to command every detail of your life. She will expect you to take care of your personal details on your own.”

He lowered his head. “My ser has scolded me for such reasons already.”

Deneck chuckled. “Don’t worry, Reth. You will catch on. Tonight, try getting ready for bed on your own without being told. See what she says or what she doesn’t say through her actions.”

Reth looked at the wooden table. It was more black than brown. The grain swirled and crammed the grime together. Reth didn’t like it. 

“How long were you in the Instituo?” Deneck asked.

Reth lifted his head. “I was in it for a year and a turn.”

He nodded. “I was in it for about twelve turns as well. The other silver eyed named Calera was in it for six.”

He went back to gazing at the table but then remembered he didn’t like how it looked, so he switched his view to his empty bowl. Potato soup. That little boy brought the potato soup.

“Reth?” Deneck said.

He faced him. “May I inquire about your magick?”

He smiled. Yes, he did smile too much.