Chapter Nine

TRIGGER WARNING: mention of sexual violence; feelings of helplessness and overwhelming emotions. 

"'Cause I'll be by your side whenever you fall

In the dead of night whenever you call

And please don't fight these hands that are holding you.

My hands are holding you here at my side."

~*~*~*~

The Barton Homestead. Missouri. April 2014.

The Barton home was spacious and cozy. Exposed wood beams crisscrossed the ceiling. A rack hung just inside the front door and held numerous children's raincoats and sweaters. The floors were covered in children's toys and finger-paintings hung up on the walls. You had to admit it was odd seeing an Avenger in such a domestic atmosphere.

Laura moved to the kitchen, "You two can take the upstairs guest room. Clint will show you up. I'll put the kettle on for some tea."

Clint motioned for you and Bucky to follow. You looked up the stairs timidly; the idea of stairs seemed too much right now.

Sensing your trepidation, Bucky took your coat from you. "I'll go put everything upstairs," he squeezed your shoulder. "I'll be right back," he said as he ascended the stairs.

You followed Laura to the kitchen and gingerly sat in one of the bar stools. You rested your head in your hands. "It's been a long goddamn day," you thought. You closed your eyes and took a shaky breath. So many thoughts were running through your head. It was difficult to make sense of them all. "I can't process all of this now. I have shit to do." Your eyes pricked with tears.

"You take honey with your tea?"

Your head shot up at Laura's voice. You hadn't heard the kettle whistle. Quickly, you ran your thumb under your eyes and sniffed. "Ye-," your voice cracked, "Yes, Thank you, Laura. For all of this. I know it's not ideal hiding fugitives in your house."

Laura nodded as she handed you a mug of tea. She leaned against the counter with her own cup and blew on it. "It's no problem." She waved off your concern like she housed fugitives in her home on a weekly basis. "It's the least I can do. When Clint called and mentioned you were in trouble, I didn't hesitate. He's talked of you so highly. I know you mean a lot to him."

You smiled sadly. "I feel bad for not knowing about you or your kids. It honestly didn't come up in conversation." Footsteps descended the stairs and made their way into the kitchen.

"Even if it did, I would have denied it," Clint singsonged as he crossed the kitchen and embraced Laura, kissing her temple. She smiled.

"Tea?" she asked him.

"Nah, I need something stronger. Ya like whiskey, Buck?" Clint asked, reaching into the cabinet above the refrigerator. He pulled out a bottle half full of amber liquid.