Chapter Four

"You are a false prophet, a forsaker

We don't believe in you

You have deceived

With every breath, you breathe."

~*~*~*~

Ruins of S.H.I.E.L.D. Triskelion. April 2014.

You were right, Bucky did not like your plan in the slightest. But he eventually agreed that more firepower would be a good idea considering all you had was your pistol. That night, you and Bucky rode the death trap of a bike to the bank of Potomac River and parked it among some felled trees and bushes, trying to conceal it as much as possible.

~*~*~*~

Washington DC. Earlier that Day.

"I'll need to get my laptop and some other Cybersecurity essentials to hide our tracks," you said breaking a corner off your pop-tart. You had found a snack machine near the room and had used all your quarters to buy various snacks and drinks, unsure what Bucky liked. He was currently halfway through a bag of Lay's Potato Chips. "I stashed my laptop in my office, it has all the files I gathered as well as the analysis and decryption programs I need."

Agent Natasha Romanoff, also known as Black Widow, had dumped seemingly all of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s and HYDRA's secrets onto the internet during the attack. When you went to access them for yourself via your desktop, you noticed many of the files remained encrypted.

"We can also make a stop at the technology and equipment floor. It was near my department," you said.

Bucky nodded and took a sip from his water bottle, "Luckily the Helicarrier didn't completely destroy those floors. Getting in and out should be easy without too much rubble. No offense, doll, but you are due for a weapon upgrade."

You flicked a crumb at him. "I like my gun," you defended, "I think I'll keep it."

"Your loss, doll." Bucky snickered.

You cocked your head. Like this, Bucky almost seemed like a normal well-functioning S.H.I.E.L.D. agent; someone who had an apartment, drinking buddies, and a cat or a girlfriend. He didn't appear at all to be the infamous HYDRA assassin, the Winter Soldier, who was ruthless, emotionless, and dark. "The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they do not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do," as Hunter used to say.

"Oh Sarge, what in the world did they do to you?"

Bucky raised an eyebrow, "Your wheels are turning."