five

[UNEDITED]

        As I sat in the car with Amanda, her chattering away about what she was doing at school while all I did was nod along to her every word, all I could really think about was Chloe.

        I guessed this was her punishment for me being such an arse towards her when she first told me that she was pregnant. She had been looking for a way out and I had finally given her one, just by being a complete idiot and not telling her what I knew about Matthew.

        None of this would have happened if I had just told her when I first found out what had happened. If I had told her that I had discovered Matthew and Charlotte mid-blowjob then perhaps my sister wouldn’t hate me now.

        I could try to explain that to her and beg for her forgiveness but that just wasn’t my style. I would wait for her to realise that she was overreacting and there was no need for her to act out in the way she did. Matthew was, after all, the one who decided to sleep with Charlotte in the first place.

        It’s not like I forced the two of them into the bedroom and told them that, if they didn’t fuck each other, they weren’t coming out of the room.

        “Are you even listening to me Uncle Jason?” Amanda asked and it was that question which reminded me where I was.

        “Er. Of course I am,” I chuckled.

        “What did I just say then?” she replied with her cheeky smile, the one she used when she knew someone was lying and she had caught them out.

        “OK. You got me. I wasn’t listening,” I laughed as I turned down the road which led to Erin’s house. I was still anxious about how this was going to go and how Erin was going to take to Amanda.

        I hoped that she wouldn’t mind and that she wouldn’t hate me for bringing her here without actually asking. I would have left her behind but, with the way she shouted at me, that was never going to happen and she wasn’t going to let me out of that house without getting what she wanted.

        “I said, are we there yet?” she laughed and he laugh was priceless. It was so carefree and full of happiness that, regardless of how bad your day had been, it made you laugh along with her and you just wanted to be happy.

        “Yes sweetie. We’re here,” I smiled as I pulled up outside Erin’s house and stopped the engine, looking behind me to see Amanda’s face covered with a smile as she let herself out of the car and left me to grab her bag as she ran up to the door.

        I had never seen a five year old looking so excited when they knocked on the door of a stranger. The smile never left her face and, the moment Erin opened the door, Amanda wrapped her arms around her legs in what she termed a hug.

        Erin looked down at her, a little confused for a moment until she saw me walking towards the two of them with Amanda’s pick bag in one hand and her teddy in the other. I smiled and hoped that she wasn’t secretly planning every possible way to murder me as I slept tonight.

        “Look, I’m sorry I didn’t phone and ask, but, I just, I hope you don’t mind,” I sighed.

        “You’re pretty Erin. I hope you make Uncle Jason happy,” Amanda said as she pulled away from Erin and moved to stand beside me instead, still with her infamous smile on her face.

        “I thought Uncle Jason was always happy?” Erin entertained her.

        “No. Ever since that nasty woman left, he’s been sad and I don’t like it,” Erin replied, her eyes trained on Erin’s without so much as a blink to break the stare.