six

[UNEDITED][MATTHEW]

        “Sorry Amanda but I’m not in the mood for all you damn questions right now. Daddy is leaving because daddy is a lying, cheating, good for nothing, useless scumbag,” Chloe’s voice was all I heard and her words hit me right where it hurt but, to say those words to our daughter, that hurt me even more. “Oh. Manipulative. I forgot to mention manipulative.”

        “Chloe!” Jason’s voice quickly followed in shock. I was shocked as well and I didn’t like that Chloe was talking about me in the way that she was, even less so since I hadn’t actually done what she was accusing me of doing.

        Forgive me for being all fashioned but, when you marry someone, I tend to believe that it’s for life and you’ll do anything to keep them. I’d never do anything which would risk my relationship with Chloe, I especially wouldn’t sleep with Charlotte and, if I was going to, then I wouldn’t be stupid enough to do it in our own home.

        I loved Chloe. She had been through more than enough shit in her life. I wasn’t in a hurry to hurt her or make her hate me. I wasn’t that much of an idiot.

        “Oh. You can shut up as well. You’re no better than that cheating fucker upstairs,” Chloe shouted. It was those words which confirmed what I didn’t want to know, Chloe really did want a divorce and she wanted me out of her life.

        Funny thing is, all it would take was Charlotte being brave enough to show her face around here again, and I could have my family back. I could have the life I had now come to love back and I would be cleared of something I know I didn’t do.

        Charlotte never really loved Jason and she wasn’t planning on marrying him either. She confessed that to me while she was drunk one night. She also confessed that, while Jason was at work, she would often invite men around in order to please her because he wasn’t doing a good enough job.

        Jason was a good guy, in fact he was amazing and he was the reason his sister hadn’t totally lost her mind. He was there for her, even when she had a nightmare and I was in the bed next to her, he was still there to make sure nothing serious had happened. He loved his sister and he made her happy so, that in turn, meant I loved him and was happy.

        “I don’t want you anywhere near this house,” I heard voice mutter from behind me and I turned to see Chloe standing there, still with tears in her eyes. She couldn’t even bring herself to look at me as she kicked me out of our house. Apparently the floor was far more interesting. “I also don’t want you anywhere near Amanda.”

        “You can’t stop me from seeing our daughter. I didn’t do anything wrong,” I snapped. She could kick me out of the house, divorce me and tell me that she never wanted to see me again but there wasn’t a chance in hell of her keeping me from my daughter. I loved that little girl and no one was going to take her away from me.

        “You are a bad influence on her. I don’t want you around her right now,” Chloe muttered again and went to walk out of the room.

        “I won’t let you do this Chloe,” I replied before she had a chance to properly disappear from view.

        “Let me do what? You were the one who crawled into bed with that bitch, not me,” Chloe chuckled heartlessly. Her tone told me that she really did hate me and, no matter how many times I apologised, it was never going to be enough and she wasn’t going to forgive me in a hurry.

        Not that there was anything I needed to apologise for. I hadn’t done anything wrong and I wasn’t going to admit something I didn’t do. Even if it meant there was a chance it would save my marriage to the woman that I loved, I wasn’t going to do it because I wasn’t going to be called every name under the sun for something I didn’t do.