48 Friends in High Places

"Nathaniel," I whispered as my heart sunk. He hung back taking stock of the events unfolding around us.

'Buy time, you need to stall.'

"You're a long way from your pack, Luna," a council guard sneered. Kevin, the creepy asshat that attacked me in our room at home.

"Why," I snapped, my anger finally showed up.

"Isn't it obvious?" Kevin said stalking over. Our opponents were ringing us now.

"I'm afraid you'll have to dumb it down for me," I drawl.

"Time's are changing, power is shifting," he says with a malevolent glint in his eye.

"Is that what this is all about? This whole fucking conference was just a game?" My temper is flaring dangerously as I feel my heart hammer.

"You'll never get away with this," the Guardian challenges. Defiant to the end.

"Look around you!" He says spinning wide for theatrics. "You have been a fly in the ointment long enough."

The wolves spring at us as the Guardian takes two, snapping one's neck as the other latches onto his throat. My shot's not fast enough as they both fall dead.

Jude snaps one throwing him away as another launches at him my shot is faster as I drop him before he reaches Jude. My last arrow is knocked as I desperately search for the best shot.

I aimed squarely at Nathaniel, planning to take out the biggest threat but I froze as he locked eyes with me. Like the day I had Derek in my sights, I have doubts. I take the next best shot taking out Kevin as something crashes into me knocking my shot off slightly.

"There's no one to save you this time Luna," he snarls on his hands and knees coughing up blood.

Nathaniel walks up to him and for a moment Kevin seems to light up until he is ripped up to his feet by his hair. He screams briefly before Nathaniel rips out his throat, tossing him aside.

The council guards and rogues freeze clearly not having expected that. All too soon the peace was broken as the shock wore off.

Movement to the side catches my attention as a wolf tries to sweep in behind to take Ethan. A feral growl rips from me as I launch myself at it, burying the dagger deep in his neck before slicing him wide open.

Rage like I've never experienced takes over as I take on the next wolf that goes for Ethan. He bites down hard on my forearm but in my blind anger it doesn't even register as I bring the blade solidly into his side, splitting him open.

I scream as I jump on the next one dropping it, but in my blind rage I missed the one who came up behind me. I gritted my teeth as it sunk its teeth into my shoulder pulling me off of the last wolf but it's too late for it.

My shoulder burns as he drags me away from Ethan and Jude. A second wolf joins in snapping and lunging for my throat. I kicked wildly catching him in the snout. Suddenly I'm flying face first to the ground as the wolf releases me.

Tucking and rolling I land in a crouch to see Nathaniel tossing the newly deceased wolf to the side. I scramble for the dagger and tuck Ethan behind me as Jude finishes the last wolf.

"When I said to keep your friends close I meant more than one in the middle of the forest," Nathaniel chided.

"Well I didn't exactly have any warning," I snapped.

"Jess, get away from him," Jude growls as he steps in between us.

"Relax Gamma, I'm not out to hurt her," Nathaniel said, stepping back as he put his hands up in surrender.