13 Harder

After dinner the Guardians brought me downstairs to the gym and dojo. I can't say I've ever been down here, but I shouldn't be surprised by the size of the gym based on pack shape.

The dojo is split between boxing ring and a matted area for sparring. There are also targets and dummies for weapon practice.

To say I'm feeling totally out of my element is an understatement. Training with Jude and Sara was always at my farm on the back lawn. The form fitting sports top and work out leggings the Guardians insisted I wear leave me feeling very exposed.

Derek, Dex and Mack however looked totally at ease and in their element. Derek and Dex are matched in thin joggers and tanks, while Mack is dressed like me. All are in Guardian green.

"Right luv, let's see what you've got yeah?" Dex chimes in, looking far more excited then I am.

"Um," I freeze.

"Come on Princess, we need a base line to see how much work we've got ahead of us," Derek drawls.

I sigh, not even five minutes and he's already getting on my nerves.

"We'll start small," Mack says handing me two daggers and nodding to the target.

I gingerly take them from her and test their weight and balance. Then run through the rest of the routine that Derek taught me; switching from defense to throwing grips, and lastly flipping them.

She had me practise throwing at the target then moving up to the dummy. I have been practicing with the daggers she gave me at home so feel slightly at ease and don't embarrass myself.

I'm pretty decent within ten feet or so, but after that my accuracy diminishes greatly. As I practice Mack circles me adjusting my stance or offering constructive criticism. Focusing on the task at hand has my nerves retreating as I throw myself into it.

"Right, that'll do yeah?" Dex asks after a while.

"Yeah she's on par here, we'll work on range and speed, but overall I'm happy." Macks praise leaves me happier than I should be.

Apparently the guys are teaching me close weapons combat. Dex is going to be my assailant while Derek teaches me the moves.

"Stop holding back Princess," Derek growls after I fail for the umpteenth time to pull off the move to his satisfaction.

"I'm trying-"

"No you're not," he cuts me off. "You're faster than this!" He shoves my shoulder to drive the point home.

"Fuck off Derek," I growl.

He shoves my shoulder again causing me to stumble as I clench my jaw.

"Sara said you were better than this," he snaps pushing me again. "What's the matter Princess?" he jeers. "Nothing to say?"

"Fuck this," I snap as I turn away from him. In an instant he grabs my shoulder and flings me backwards.

On instinct I tuck and roll, ending in a crouched defense stance that Sara had taught me. I can feel my temper brewing dangerously. "The fuck Derek," I growl.

"That's more like it princess," he says with a triumphant grin. "Tell you what, land a solid hit on Dex and we're done for tonight."

"What about Derek?" Mack asks with a raised brow. "Dex is too nice, you on the other hand, she wants to beat most days."

"Ha, if you can't hit Dex you're wasting your time on me princess," he drawls.

"How's your nose?" I ask, raising a brow.