2 Nightmares

Chris POV

There's nothing like being in someone else's pack to make you appreciate your own more. Unfortunately without her here, it feels off. Malcolm has his work cut out for him to get New Moon back in shape, hell it could take years to correct the damage Rob has done.

To say I was disappointed to not find Jess in our bed when I got home was an understatement. I knew she was catching up on work at her farm but I had hoped by now she was comfortable enough here to view it as home.

Mid afternoon training kept my mind off of things until her scent hit me, cherry blossoms and cinnamon. After nearly a week of nothing but texts and a couple quick calls that was all it took to distract me.

Jude hits like a hammer; in my distraction he landed a solid uppercut that stunned me and had Cyrus seeing red. That set my inner wolf to push forward, wanting a taste of Jude's blood.

We may have come to terms with his relationship with Jess, he is her Gamma after all, but it still bothers Cyrus. Fortunately he yields to Jess, and she had him retreating with a single warning.

All that matters now is this woman in my arms. My mate Jess is beautiful and strong. Her honey brown eyes take on fire when she's worked up but overall she is kind and humble. When I first met her she was a shell of herself, though her past isn't something she ever wants to talk about. I've watched her blossom into the person she is today.

Curled up on a couch with her, sharing ice cream and watching a movie is a great way to end the day.

"What are you smiling about?" She asks, her honey brown eyes locked on mine.

"You," I say, kissing her on her forehead. She only raises a brow at me flashing me her best 'you're a dork' look. "The way you helped them tonight at dinner, you're a natural." She blushes and drops her gaze.

I can't help but chuckle at her shyness, but don't press it further. Nothing comes quickly with Jess, but she has come such a long way in a short period of time.

With dessert done I take the bowl from her and put it on the table. She shifts and snuggles in closer, moving her shirt off her shoulder slightly. My eyes narrow as I glimpse a fang mark on her shoulder.

Her eyes snap to mine in surprise, I didn't even realized a low growl slipped out. "What is that?!"

"Nothing," she says dismissively while dropping her gaze.

'She's lying to us,' Cyrus cuts in.

'Well aware,' I grumble.

"Jess," I say in warning.

"Chris," she sighs, "don't push things you don't want to know the answers to."

I carefully slide her shirt to the side revealing a clear, full wolf bite shaped bruise. She quickly readjusts it, hiding the bruise. "Who did that," I growl out lowly, as everyone freezes.

"It doesn't matter," she mumbles.

"The hell it doesn't, if you think I'm going to sit idly by while someone assaults my mate-"

"Stop!" She snaps, her honey brown eyes have that fire dancing in them, her temper matching my own. "I wasn't assaulted, I dodged when I should have ducked, and I'm not talking about this anymore." 

"You're not supposed to be training at all," I grumble at their disobedience. "I had Jude with me so it wasn't him this time," I trial off and look at Jude who is choking on his drink having been caught.

"Um, Chris I wasn't around when-" Jude stammers.

"Relax Jude, I know, but you don't leave marks on her," I grumble looking around the room. My eyes stop on Sara who is looking everywhere but here. "Why am I not surprised?"