24 Follow My Lead

"What does it matter?" I mumble.

"It matters because you're doing so well, and I don't want you to start hiding again," Jude said softly. "So what's the real problem with the ball?"

"Why do you have to be right about everything?" I complain.

"Call it a gift?" He says with a crooked grin.

"Feels more like a curse," I grumble.

"Whatever, spill," he says with a laugh.

"I'd be like a fish out of water," I say with a sigh. "I'm not comfortable with dresses, heels and getting gussied up. Hell I wouldn't even know what to do hair and make up wise."

"Weak," he chirps as I glare. "Sara showed me the dress, and you pulled off that sundress at dinner just fine. Claire and Sara would be more than happy to help you with hair and makeup. It's masked so you can literally hide in plain sight. What other bull have you got for me?" He challenges. 

"I don't know how to dance," I mumbled.

"Ah, there it is," he says with a smile. "You've been training for weeks in combat, you're a quick study. What makes you think that you can't learn a couple steps?" I just shrug embarrassed. 

"You know, I could teach you right?" He asked hopeful. I just look at him skeptically. "I'm actually a pretty good dancer, hell I got you to dance at the club," he grins victoriously.

"I seem to remember a lot of shots being involved," I defended.

"Ha, no one says you need to be sober at the ball, there will be a lot of drinking I'm sure. It'll be easyish, just have to follow my lead," he says with a grin.

"Come on," he says, leading me to the dojo. Strangely it was empty. Once in he locked the door and went to the sound system.

"I have to meet Jace in less than an ho-"

"Nice try, I've cleared it your mine tonight," he cut off tapping his temple. He starts the music and steps up to me.

"Your hand goes here," he says, draping it across his shoulder, while grabbing the other in his hand. "And I hold here." His other hand stopped in the small of my back.

"Waltz is easy, it's just a three step movement, follow my lead." He stepped to the side and again and again. He was right, it wasn't too difficult, I only stepped on his foot once.

For the next two hours he went through a range of music and some common steps. The last half hour he had Jace come in to go over switches and to have someone else dance with me.

Their easy going nature and laughs had me at ease and before long I was actually having a pretty good time. I wasn't about to do a foxtrot but I could at least follow the lead. 

"As much fun as this is, I've got to get back to work," Jace says. "You've got one more lesson with me tomorrow afternoon elf," he pauses to add something else. "Meet me out front after lunch, jeans and tank." 

"What are we doing?" Curious as they usually say leggings or sweatpants claiming jeans are too restrictive.

"Practical application, you typically wear jeans so that's what you'll wear." I nodded, and he took off.

"So how do you feel about dancing now?" Jude asked.

"Much better thanks, but I still don't want to be sober," I say with a laugh.

"So you'll go to the ball?" He asks hopeful.

"I'll consider it," I admit.

-----