Chapter 12

It's been two weeks since mom and I moved to Stars Hollow. We haven't talked to grandma or grandpa yet, although we've received many angry voicemails and when they call and we pick up mom immediately hangs up or claims she's driving through a tunnel, makes gurgling sounds then hangs up.

"Jess!" I called, following him out of the over crowded diner. "Hey Rory." Said Jess, sarcastically. "Where do you think you're going." I demanded. "Ugh, is that a trick question?" Asked a confused Jess. "Luke needs you in there." I said, pointing towards the diner with Luke running around frantically with the landline stapled to his ear. 

"He's fine." Jess said, rolling his eyes. "He doesn't look fine, he looks like he's about to strangle the customers with the landline." I said, crossing my arms. "Huh, you say that as if it's a bad this, this town could use a few less lunatics." Jess complained. 

"But then, that will leave you to deal with the bodys, what will you do then?" I challenged. "I'll think of something." Jess said, mysteriously. Ignoring his last comment, I grab him by his arm and drag him back into the diner, shoving him though the door, making him run into a customer. 

"That was graceful." Said Dean, who was towering over Jess. "She pushed me." Jess said, not taking his eyes off Dean. "Get to work." I scowled at Jess, trying to ignore the staring contest, happening between the two. "Whatever." Said Jess, pushing past Dean. 

"Oh yeah, go take orders from her, you must be whipped." Dean called after Jess. "Dea-" Jess interrupted. "Rory, ignore him, he's just jealous." "Wow, that was good, now try saying 'make me dinner." Dean said. At the corner of my eye, I could see mom in an apron...-Probably helping Luke, although I never thought I'd see her wearing an apron.- looking like she wanted to punch Dean. 

I was shocked, Dean had seemed nicer than this when I first met him. "Shut up! Leave her alone." Jess said, walking back to Dean and shoving him hard. "Woah, no need for violence." Muttered Dean, pushing Jess back. Jess went to say something when I cut in.

"Stop it!" I yelled, stepping in between them. "Jess, go help Luke, Dean, just leave!" I ordered. "I came for food." Said Dean. "Go to Westons." I demanded. "Fine, such bad service." Dean muttered under his breath, while walking out the door, but not before giving Jess another glare. 

"He's an ass." Said Jess after Dean had left. "Yes, yes, now get to work." I demanded, throwing a cloth at him to wipe down tables. 

Once Jess compiled, I sat down at a table that people just left, and put my head down on the table. I could hear grunts of complaints from the people who've been waiting for a while for a table, although I didn't care. 

"That was some fight." I heard mom's voice say. I looked up from the table. Seeing as I wasn't going to say anything, she continued. "I wanted to kill him." She mumbled. "He's a jerk." I commented. 

"He's jealous." She told me. "Shut it, he is not. Besides, what is there for him to be jealous about?" I asked. "You." "What about me." I asked. "You're a wonderful girl, it's no wonder he'd be jealous of you." Mom cooed. "Oh my God, shut up!" I yelled in embarrassment. 

In the corner of my eye, I could see Jess leaning against the counter, swinging the cloth I threw at him in his hands while staring at me. I turn my full attention to him and raise my eyebrows. Once he understood my silent question, he quickly went back to working before I went over and yelled at him... again. 
_______________
Once I got home, I could hear the band, minus Lane. I walked into the garage once the music had stopped. "Heyy." I said awkwardly. "Hi Rory." Dave said, after finishing talking with the band.

"Oh uh, Lane won't be at practice for a bit." I told them. "Yeah, we figured." Said Brian. "How much trouble was she in?" Dave asked worriedly. "Well, she's only leaving the house for school, her mom almost didn't let her go to school." I explained. "Is that legal!?" Zach asked. "Probably not."

"We need a drummer." Dave sighed. "How long do you think she'll be grounded for?" "During the short time I've been able to talk to her at school, doesn't sound like anytime this year."

"We can't play without a drummer, we sounded so off beat just now." Complained Zach. "We need to look for a replacement, at least until Lane can play." Said Brian. "But... you are gonna permanently replace her, right?" I asked worriedly. "No, of course not, we NEED Lane." Dave insured. Aww.

Good, yeah, I'll inform Lane when I can next speak to her, so... I'm gonna go inside and finish up some homework, good luck practicing." I said awkwardly. 

__________

"Mom, I'm home!" I called into the silent house, not getting  a reply. "Mom?"

Suddenly I heard a thump coming from the kitchen,"Ouch!" I heard mom's voice. I walking into the kitchen, seeing mom sitting on the floor, in front of the fridge with refrigerator items surrounding her. 

"Hey Rory, how was your day?" Mom asked. 

"Good, is there a reason you're sitting on the floor, letting all the cold air out of the fridge?" I asked. 

"How is it possible that we're lived in this house for 2 weeks, not having brought any food with us when we moved, yet the fridge is completely full!? She Exclaimed. 

"I think order too much take out,"I said, stating the obvious as the trash beside her is filled with either empty or partly emptied take out containers. "We do not! What do you want me to do, cook? We'll burn down the house!" Exclaimed mom.  

"Okay, so maybe we don't have any cooking skills but we could at least buy less, we're throwing out half of what we order," I explained. 

"Maybe YOU should start bringing your own lunch to school instead of buying it," I scoffed.

"Maybe YOU should stop making Sookie make your lunch!" I shot back.

"She's the one who offeres, who am I to say no to free food!" 

"We sound ridiculous," I declared, but only because I didn't know what else to yell back at mom... 

"You're right," Mumbled mom in defeat. 

"Hah!" Laughed in victory.

"You tricked me!" She whined.