Chapter 8

The next day was Saturday. Mom and I were sitting at the diner talking and drinking coffee. Suddenly, Paris barged into the diner with Madeline and Louise trailing behind.

 "Pai-" Paris interrupted me. "What is wrong with you!?" Yelled Paris, the entire diner went silent, all the attention turned to us. "What do you mea-" Paris once again, interrupted. "Why did you move!?" Paris demanded. "It wasn't my choice! Why do you care so much, you hate me!" I yelled back. "You're my only competition!" "How'd you even find me?" I asked. "Your mom told me you moved here?" She said, as if it's obvious. "I mean, in this diner?" I said. "Your mom's jeep is parked outside." Paris said as if it's obvious. 

Just then, Tristan walked into the diner. "TRISTAN!?" I said in disbelief. "Hey Mary." He said coolly. "What is Tristan doing here!?" I asked angrily. "My mom needed the car, I didn't have a ride, so Tristan offered to drive, after this, he's dropping Madeline and Louise off at a party." Explained Paris. 

"Unless…" Madeline began when she saw Jess. "Are you single?" Madeline asked Jess. "Uncle Luke, I'm getting harassed!" Jess complained to Luke who was also watching the scene before him. Luke stood there not knowing what to say. "I'm gonna go." Jess said awkwardly, going up stairs. 

"Where's he going!? What's upstairs, is it where you keep the girls?" Paris asked Luke. "It's my apartment?" Luke said, although it sounded more like a question. "Mmm-hmm," Hummed Paris. "So, Rory, where are you going to school now?" Asked Paris. "The school across the street?" I told her. 

"A public school?" She asked in disbelief. "Yup, in case you forgot, my grandparents were paying for Chilton." I reminded her. "B-but, how will you get into Harvard" She asked. "I can still get into Harvard from going to Stars Hollow High, also, the application will say that I went to Chilton from kindergarten to 10th grade." I pointed out. 

"Yes, you randomly left Chilton in tenth grade, how will that look? They'll think Chilton was too hard for you!" "No they won't, now Paris, Madeline and Louise have a party to get to." I send her off. "Fine, but if you get stuck going to community College, I told you so." Paris said, angrily walking out of the diner, followed by Madeline. "Bye!" Said Louise, before walking out of the diner. "Later, Mary." Tristan winked and left. 

"You went to Chilton, darling?" Asked Miss. Patty. I ignored her. "Mom, Paris is right, I'll never get into Harvard now." I said worriedly. "Whoa, no, you will get into Harvard, even if I have to go there myself and explain to them that I forced you to move." Mom told me. "We don't even have the money to play for Harvard." I realize. "I have a job now, I'll start saving up." She reasoned. "It won't be enough, you still need money to pay for our house and food." I reminded her. 

"I need coffee, and a chocolate muffin!" Mom called out to Luke, who came over a few seconds later with moms order. 'He so has a soft spot for mom.' I thought to myself. Mom handed me the coffee and muffin, "You'll do just fine." Mom assured me. 

After some reassurance and a muffin, I calmed down and the townspeople went back to their daily routines. "Mom, I got to go, I promised Lane I'd meet her band." I told her. "Lane's in a band?" Asked mom. "Yup, they're a rock band. They still don't have anywhere to practice and Lane's mom doesn't know about it, but Lane said they've learned a set." I explained. "Cool, Lane better remember us when she becomes rich and famous." Said mom. "I'll tell her that." 

"Ooh, and tell her that if they want, they can practice in our garage, it's not like we use it." Mom offered. "Cool, I'll run that by her." I said, leaving the diner and heading to behind Al’s Pancake World where her band is currently meeting. "Hey Lane." I said, walking up to her and three guys. "Rory, this is Zach, Bryan and Dave. Boys, this is Rory." She introduced. "Hey." I said, earning a few 'Heys' back. 

"Ooh Lane, my mom said that you guys can practice in our garage." I exclaimed. "Really! Are you sure, it can get kinda loud and-" O stopped her. "Yes Lane, we don't use it and it will be better than hiding from your mom behind Al’s." I said. "True, guys, what do you think?" Asked Lane. "We'll have to check it out but, I'm sure it will work, thanks." Said Dave. "No problem." 

"You guys can check it out now, if you want." I offered. "Cool, so does this mean we can finally raise the volume on the ape?" Zach asked, excitedly. "You guys can play as loud as you'd like." I told them. "Great." Said Dave. 

I showed them to my house. "So this," I opened the garage door. "Is the garage." "This will do perfectly." Dave told me. "Is this the band?" Mom asked, walking up behind us. "Yes, oh, mom, this is Zach, Dave and Bryan." I said, pointing to each of them. "Nice to meet you guys. Remember to thank us when you guys get famous, you guys are going to be practicing in our garage after all." Mom half jokes. "Deal!" Lane said, jumping in excitement.

"Feel free to help yourselves to any food in the kitchen, which isn't much, but we have water. Bathrooms inside, down the hall." Said mom. "Thank you, we'll probably move our instruments here tomorrow." Said Dave. "Sounds good." I told them. " It was nice meeting you guys." Mom said, starting to leave. "You too, Miss. Gilmore." Bryan said, speaking for the first time in our conversation.

"I should go finish some homework, I'll see you guys tomorrow." I said, bidding my goodbye. "Bye Rory." Said Lane, followed by the rest of the band.