Descriptions

Descriptions and covers are the most important things about your books. They are what draw readers in and captures their interest.

     Something that I see a lot for full-length books is a one-liner for the description, typically a quote. But, newsflash, that makes potential readers continue to scroll past your fic. Use paragraph format to type your description.

     Without clicking on the book, you can only see two lines. Those first two lines are critical. In one or two sentences, you need to give the gist of the book. What I recommend is keeping those two sentences separate from your full description. Type some underscores or stars beneath it to separate it from the rest.

Here's an example:

      A deadly fight breaks out, and SadClan divides. A young warrior's deadly secret may have destroyed this once peaceful Clan.

________

Butterflyface has a secret. When she unwittingly causes a brawl that kills the leader and deputy of SadClan, her world is turned upside-down.

Slowly, her clanmates begin to catch onto what she has done---and now, she has a bounty on her head.

Butterflyface is on the run with two Clans in hot pursuit, and she must survive as Leaf-bare sets in.

However, Butterflyface's secret isn't the only one that she's keeping.

This young molly has the power to destroy what she once called home.

_____

*Insert trigger warnings*

______

The most important thing is that first sentence in your description. I cannot stress that enough. Do not use a simple quote and call that good for the whole thing because your potential readers won't know what they're getting into.

Also, check your description for errors.

One more thing: do not lead in with, "This story is about," "This is about," "Story description:," "My book tells the story of...," etc. It doesn't sound as professional---I mean, have you ever read a published book description that starts with that? Nope.

Be sort of cryptic in your description. Be thorough, but don't give away the entire plot. In Butterflyface's Secret, I explain the cause and effect.

NOW, GO FORTH AND WRITE!