Chapter 1 Princess of Philippine Movies

Pagkalabas ni Maria Mikaela "Mikay" Dela Cruz sa paliparan ng Hong Kong, isang grupo ng mga sabik na reporters ang naghihintay.

"Mikaela, smile," bulong ni Ma'am Bev, her agent. "Magkakaroon ng kumbulsyon si Mr. M if he sees more pictures of you in bad mood." She pulled Mikay forward and hurried her out of the terminal. Agad na sumugod sa kanila ang mga reporters.

"Is this your first time to enter the Asian Film Award?" A reporter pushed a microphone aggressively under her nose.

"How does it feel to be nominated for best actress category?"

"Is it true you may win best actress according to some critics?"

"Do you have a boyfriend, Miss Dela Cruz?"

"Is it true you and actor Daniel Padilla are dating?"

Mikay experienced that familiar and frightening tightening of her throat. It was almost impossible to speak or move. Fear gripped her gut. She turned in panic to Ma'am Bev.

"Ilabas niyo po ako dito," she whispered.

A heavily built young man in grey suits and designer sunglasses kept the spectators at bay as they forged a path to the car that represented her safe haven. 

Forcing one foot in front of the other, Mikay managed a brief smile, and then rushed inside the car. The camera lenses seeking one last shot of her before the car glided off into traffic.

"Mikaela, kailangan mo nang masanay sa mga ganito," Ma'am Bev said firmly. Si Ma'am Bev ang kanyang naging agent mula noong unang araw pa lamang  ng siya'y mag-artista. She is in her fifties and has treated Mikay like a daughter.

"Ayoko po talaga," Mikay whispered, stretching her legs out. "Sa tingin ko nagkaka claustrophobic ako sa mga ganito."

"You're on show, Hija. Iyan ang binabayaran nila ng milyun-milyon." 

"Akala ko po para 'yon sa pagganap bilang Leni Dela Torre sa pelikulang Pagpag," sabi ni Mikay. Tinakpan ng kanyang mahabang buhok ang kanyang magandang mukha nang ibinaba niya ang kanyang baba sa kanyang dibdib.

"Now, grow up, Mikaela. Alam mong simula lamang 'yon. Hindi ko talaga maunawaan kung ano ang iyong nirereklamo. Kahit sinong tao ay matutuwa na maabot ang kasikatan sa maikling panahon."

"Hindi ko po matiis ang mga ganito."

"At ako'y suko na," Ma'am Bev exclaimed. She rolled her eyes, wishing Mr. M, the director, had chosen someone else for the role. For, although the girl was a natural, she had been nothing but troubles from the word go.