Chapter 8 First and foremost

An hour later dusk had settled over the Kingdom

Mikay made her way down the wide stone staircase, hoping she would not slip into her high-heeled sandals.

She has chosen to wear a simple white dress. She has chosen to tie her hair into a ponytail with no make-up at all.

When she reached the terrace, she saw him, dressed in 'Gho'.

It is the national dress for men in Yangdon. It is a long robe hoisted up until it is knee-length. The hoisted cloth is held in place with a woven cloth belt called 'Kera' wound tightly around the waist.

The Prince was leaning against the stone wall and looking out the river Thimpu. A glass held loosely between his fingers.

She stood a moment and watched him.

How incredibly good looking he was. How totally out of reach.

All at once, a reality sank in and she realized how poles apart their lives were.

She, the unknown girl from Masantol, Pampanga who by a miracle had been chosen to star in a Filipino success story.

He, the noble Prince, whose ancestry dated back a thousand years.

Oh well, whatever. Might as well enjoy it while it lasted, she reflected walking towards him.

"Good evening," she said, trying to sound cool.

"Good evening, Mikay," he replied. His gaze roamed over her.

A flush ran to her cheeks. There was nothing bold in his look, but still she felt as though his eyes saw far more.

"Would you like a drink?" He asked.

He poured her choice into a crystal glass and handed it to her.

"Thank you." Mikay took a quick gulp of her orange juice and then another.

"Come," Jao said, as if sensing her discomfort, reaching for her hand. "Let me show you the rest of the terrace."