Chapter 7 Kingdom of Yangdon

Four hours later Mikay was staring out of the window of Jao's private airplane as it circled over the Himalayas.

Down below she could see the rugged, mountainous landscape of Yangdon. Then a small town with multi-storey concrete buildings appeared.

To the left, up on a high valley overlooking the river, stood a magnificent fortress.

"That is the Trashi Cchoe Dzong," Jao said pointing down.

"It is Yangdon's most stately and most impressive building on the banks of the Thimphu River

"It is Yangdon's most stately and most impressive building on the banks of the Thimphu River. Thimpu is the capital of the Kingdom. All villages now have access to basic amenities such as education, running water, basic healthcare and are connected by roads and electricity. Even the most remote villages have connected to the telecommunication network including mobile phone service," he added.

"My leadership is committed to building a sustainable tourism industry that is not only financially viable, but also limits the negative cultural and environmental impacts commonly associated with the culture of mass tourism. I have created a policy of 'High Value, Low Impact' tourism. The kingdom of Yangdon seeks to ensure that it attracts only the most discerning visitors with a deep respect for cultural values, traditions and the natural environment," he said proudly.

"I hope to make Yangdon into a modern, well-run, financially rich society still respecting their traditions, culture and natural environment," he concluded.

Mikay looked over at Jao.

She was surprised at the passion and intensity she detected in his tone. She had thought of him as a sophisticated playboy, simply trying to extract as much as possible from his inheritance.

Yet now she sensed there was far more at stake for Jao than mere money. This was about honor, about the well being of his people.

She smiled sweetly.

She was glad she had taken the decision to flee Hong Kong and join him in what looked like a community of peace.

~*~*~*~

Soon they landed at the Kingdom's small airport. A Rolls-Royce was waiting for them outside the airport.

Yangdonese stopped by the roadside and waved. Mikay noted that Jao always returned the waves, smiled and acknowledge them.