8 | The Sorting

violet has her first ever fanart by Aislaaaa and I've been staring at it for days, thank you so much!! I love love love it!! baby vi looks so pretty 🥺 if you guys have anything you want to send, just PM me!

CHAPTER EIGHT: THE SORTING

───── ⋆★⋆ ─────

There was a tense silence

There was a tense silence. Everyone was so anxious that they subconsciously bit into their chocolate, faces lighting up instantly.

"Is this chocolate magical, or something?" asked Hermione.

Violet smiled, and replied, "No, but it has healing properties. Why else do you think girls eat chocolate when they're upset, or when they're on a monthly?" Hermione laughed for the first time since she had joined them on the train, and even Ginny managed a small smile despite how ill and pale she looked. The boys looked confused, and no one tried to help them understand.

After Lupin went to talk to the driver, Harry asked what had happened. Hermione and Ron explained that the Dementor saw him ("Sort of — I couldn't really see his eyes," Ron had said) and Harry started convulsing like a dying fish. Professor Lupin had told the Dementor, "None of us are hiding Sirius Black under our cloaks. Go." But the Dementor didn't move so Lupin muttered something, and after casting an incorporeal Patronus Charm it had "glided away..."

"It was horrible," said Neville, in a higher voice than usual. "Did you feel how cold it went when it came in?"

"I felt weird," said Ron, shifting his shoulders uncomfortably. "Like I'd never be cheerful again..."

Ginny, who was huddled in her corner feeling nearly as bad as Harry felt, gave a small sob; Hermione went over and put a comforting arm around her as everyone gave her sympathetic glances. That's when Violet realised: Ginny had been reliving the time she was possessed by Tom Riddle's diary. Her guilt for not intervening increased tenfold, and she caved in on herself with a wince.

"But didn't any of you — fall out of your seats?" said Harry awkwardly.

"No," said Ron, looking anxiously at Harry again. "Ginny was shaking like mad, though..."

"Unless you count me being squashed under you, I'd say you were the only one who—" Violet cut myself off, realising that instead of lighting up the mood, she was making Harry and everyone else feel worse. "Uh... I mean, if it helps, I kind of blacked out for a moment too."

Harry pulled his lips up weakly. It did not, in fact, help at all, but he appreciated the sentiment.

Professor Lupin came back. He paused as he entered, looked around and said, with a small smile, "I haven't poisoned that chocolate, you know..."

Everyone, except Hermione, Ron and Violet, took a bite into their chocolate. Their faces lightened up and brought back the colour to their faces. Violet noticed that Harry's eyes weren't so dull anymore.