1 | Fainting Fancies

CHAPTER ONE: FAINTING FANCIES

───── ⋆★⋆ ─────

"Am I dreaming?"

"Am I dreaming?"

'Hermione' and 'Ron' seemed to be surprised that she had spoken, and jumped back slightly with a start.

Violet slowly pushed herself to her feet. "But if I'm dreaming then I shouldn't be feeling so much pain..." The two watched as she pinched herself, yelped, and pinched herself once more with a grimace. "What the fudge."

"Urm..." Violet looked up to see the tall, lanky ginger boy stare at her in confusion and alarm. "Who are you?"

She smiled widely. "I'm ㅡ CAT!" she shrieked, jumping backwards and bumping into a table as soon as she caught sight of the feline prowling around the girl's legs. She quickly scrambled onto its surface, her obsidian eyes never once leaving the fat ginger poof in fear that a single blink would mean it would move.

Ron furrowed his brows in confusion. "Your name is Cat?"

Hermione rolled her eyes, leaning down to pick up her pet. Violet groaned agonisingly into her fist when she had caught him around the middle, and stroked his fur like it wasn't a terrifying murder-beast with sharp claws and creepy, glowing eyes. "Her name isn't cat, Ronald. I think she's scared of Crookshanks."

Violet only nodded fervently in response, eyes burning from the effort of trying not to blink. She was startled when she heard voices behind her.

"Why is there a girl sitting on our breakfast?" whispered one.

"No idea, Freddie. Maybe we should ask her," replied another.

Violet felt two taps on both her shoulders and slowly turned her head around, only looking away from the feline when she was sure it was secured in the girl's arms.

"Are you breakfast?"

Violet watched in muted fascination as one redhead punched his identical twin in the arm, who sniggered into his hand at the joke. "What he was meant to say was do you come seasoned or do we butter you up ourselves?"

It took a while for Violet to respond. She set her brows determinedly, pursing her lips in concentration. "Neither," she declared, "but I think I'm going to faint," before promptly falling backwards and being consumed by the darkness.

"Merlin, look what you've done, George. You're so ugly she couldn't bear to stay conscious."

"Shut up, Fred."

"I'll go and get Mrs Weasley," muttered Hermione, rushing off with her cat mewling quietly in her arms as her friend and his brothers prodded and stared at the unconscious girl.

That was how Violet woke up, less than a minute later. She stared at the three freckled faces above her, which all broke out into beams in varying degrees of insanity when they realised she was awake. "I think I'm in Hell," she muttered to herself.

"Oi," scowled one of the twins. "You're a ginger, too!"

"No," she said, shaking her head. They all looked at her weirdly.

"Do you think she's concussed?" asked the one called Ron.

"She banged her head against a butter dish, I think she's okay," retorted his brother.

"I have butter in my hair?" she cried, raising her hand to touch her red locks ㅡ before she suddenly shook her head, remembering what she was so worried about, and pointed at the ceiling. "No, I mean ㅡ the ceiling is on fire."

The three whipped around and looked up in alarm, and cursed simultaneously when they saw bright orange flames lick away at the wooden surface above their heads. Before any of them could take out their wands however, there was a sudden voice ㅡ "Aguamenti!"  ㅡ and a jet of clear water had splashed right on target and doused out the fire in a matter of seconds.

Now Violet could focus on the matter at hand ㅡ namely, the butter in her hair.

"Right," said Molly Weasley, bustling over with Hermione hot on her heels. "What's happening here, then?"

Her children all struck out an arm to point at the girl sitting on the table, rubbing at her head and grimacing in disgust when she found the offending blob of dairy. "We've got a wild one, mother," declared George Weasley.

"I think you should adopt her, give Ginny another girl to play dress up with," finished Fred imperiously.

Violet's eyes snapped up when she heard this. "Oh, please do! I'm an orphan, so any adoption will be appreciated even if you are a dream," she said, smiling wide with shining eyes.

Molly smiled warmly at the girl, a hint of pity in her brown eyes. "Dear, you aren't dreaming," she said gently, stepping forward to help her down from the table. "How did you get here? Hermione tells me you fell in out of nowhere." She flicked her wand to clean up her hair, to which Violet gave her a grateful smile despite the utter panic-infested confusion her mind was currently in.

"I'm not dreaming?" At the shaking head of the plump woman before her, Violet could only frown, her mind spinning. "I'm... really in the Leaky Cauldron? You're real?" She almost wouldn't have believed it, had what happened next not occurred.

Molly opened her mouth to answer, a deep set worry in her brows, when suddenly there was a loud pop! and they all turned to see who had arrived.

Violet felt her mouth drop when she saw the man with the longest beard she had ever seen, dressed in robes of deep plum with his blue eyes twinkling behind his half-moon spectacles.

It was Albus Freaking Dumbledore, and this was definitely not a dream.

───── ⋆★⋆ ─────

[Written: 23/07/20] | [Published: 30/08/20]