0 | Prologue

PROLOGUE: FIRE STARTER

───── ⋆★⋆ ─────

If there was one thing that the occupants of Ashdene Ridge knew about Violet Doe, it was that she was as wild as the flames that grew seven-feet tall whenever she came near the stove, and about as loud as the sirens that would wail the entire morn...

If there was one thing that the occupants of Ashdene Ridge knew about Violet Doe, it was that she was as wild as the flames that grew seven-feet tall whenever she came near the stove, and about as loud as the sirens that would wail the entire morning while children and carers alike would be rushing to evacuate. 

No one really blamed her, of course; it wasn't her fault that no one told her that the hob on the far right was faulty, so when all was said and done and the fire-fighters had sorted out the issue, Mike just sent her upstairs to get her started on her summer homework, with clear instructions to stay away from the kitchen for the time being.

But that didn't mean Violet didn't blame herself. After all, she was the only one who knew she hadn't used the stoves at all, but was swearing up a storm as she nursed a sore foot from stubbing her toe into the fridge while she danced to Shake It Off by Taylor Swift.

That was the seventh fire-related incident she managed to escape with her life still intact. Violet tried shrugging it off as some weird fire Demon out to get her, and the ones where she'd see her books float before her eyes when she laughed too hard ㅡ only for a brief moment, mind you, where she wasn't really sure if she was seeing things or not ㅡ as an orphan ghost trying to be her friend. It was the only explanation that made sense.

Or it would have been, had it not been her thirteenth birthday the next day, which is when our story really begins.

It was a lovely Thursday morning when Violet awoke, dampened only by the thought that it was yet another year that she had spent as Violet no-name after she had been found on the doorstep of the care home labelled affectionately as 'The Dumping Ground' by the children who resided there. She got about her usual business, brushing her teeth and getting dressed, ready to be slammed with a round of hugs and birthday wishes. The best part was the traditional birthday cake the rest of the children had whipped up for the occasion.

That was one thing Violet loved about being in a care home; she was sure she wouldn't find as caring a family if she had ended up elsewhere, and was grateful for their company even if they were annoying at times.

Violet was about to leave her room when she heard a sudden thud from behind her, like something had fallen over. She turned inquisitively on the spot, and her eyes wandered over to the shrine-like corner of her desk. Her Harry Potter books stared back at her from where they lay, messily stacked on top of each other next to the 'wand' she had fashioned out of a nice looking branch ㅡ except for the Prisoner of Azkaban, her favourite in the series.

It lay on the floor, and stepping closer Violet realised it was open on the chapter titled 'The Leaky Cauldron', and between one blink and the next, suddenly Violet was falling forward until she was staring into the bright blue eyes of a fat, ginger cat, and she couldn't have even tried to stop the scream that tore through her throat, terrified and ear-shattering.

The cat scampered without so much as a hiss at her undignified squawking, and Violet vaguely felt her body ache with the telltale signs of having fallen hard onto the floor, her stomach a swirling mess of fear and confusion. All she wanted to do in that moment as she closed her eyes was to dissolve into the earth so she wouldn't feel the pain anymore.

"Bloody heㅡ!"

"Language, Ron!"

"But where the bloody hell did she come from, Hermione!?"

Violet rolled onto her back and peeled her eyes open with a pained groan, and stared, a little starstruck at the sight before her. There was a boy with hair as bright red as her own, a smattering of freckles splashed across his nose, and a girl with dark skin and bushy hair, both staring at her in alarm and suspicion. 

And suddenly, it clicked.

If this was a dream, Violet really wanted to applaud her brain ㅡ because from the sound of things, it seemed as though she had fallen into Harry Potter.

───── ⋆★⋆ ─────

[Written: 23/07/20] | [Published: 28/08/20]

Except, she actually has ㅡ Violet just doesn't know it yet.

Please excuse me while I cry about how this will never happen to me :")