3 | Ice-Cream And Death-Sticks

CHAPTER THREE: ICE-CREAM AND DEATH-STICKS

───── ⋆★⋆ ─────

Somewhere in the back of her mind, Violet gave a mental thumbs up to Dumbledore for bringing her to the parlour where she could sit down if she collapsed from shock ㅡ which is exactly what was happening this very moment

Violet could barely believe her eyes.

Her father was Severus Snape?

She couldn't stop the slow grin that tugged at her lips.

"That's so fucking cool," she whispered, dragging her eyes over her full name once more. Violet E. Snape. She felt the energy which had been sapped from her limbs suddenly increase tenfold, and was practically vibrating in her seat as she spoke to herself out loud. "Hi there," she drawled in a commentator's voice, winking at the air, "my name is Violet E. Snape, and you're watching Disney Channel! Violet Emily Snape. Violet Elektra Snape! No, Violet Everdeen Snape! Violet Everyone-Look-At-Me-I-Have-A-Last-Name Snape!"

She stood up, and with a bounce to her step, ran over to the nearest person, who just so happened to be Florean Fortescue. "Hi! My name is Violet E. Snape, and I'm not an orphan anymore!"

He gave a startled grin in response. "Uh, that's great," he said, fumbling with the sundae bowls and spoons he was collecting from a nearby table. "Do you want any ice-cream to celebrate?"

"Heck, yeah!" she exclaimed, slapping down a galleon into the man's palm before running off to another stranger. "Hi, what's your name?"

The portly woman blinked at her, wondering why she was being interrogated by a child. "Um, Iㅡ"

"Lovely name," interrupted Violet, a crazed glint in her eyes that was only partly subdued by the clearly elated beam on her face. "I'm Violet E. Snape!" she cackled, throwing her arms in the air, before running off to harass another person.

Dumbledore watched as Violet happily introduced herself to seven confused people, all with equal amounts of glee and excitement that had him momentarily stunned. He wondered to himself if the excitement was because her father was his Potions professor, or because she was just happy to finally know what her last name was. He assumed it was a mixture of both, and chuckled to himself. Violet Snape was indeed rather strange; he couldn't think of one person who would be happy knowing they were related to the Potions master, but here she was, clearly over the moon to be so.

It almost made him feel a little guilty.

He heard someone clear their throat behind him, and turned around with an amiable smile. "Good afternoon, Florean," he greeted pleasantly.

"Headmaster," nodded the man. He glanced pointedly at the redhead who was now vigorously shaking hands with a five-year-old boy, no doubt introducing herself to the terrified child while his mother tried swatting her away with a grocery bag. Violet grabbed the woman's hands instead and promptly burst into tears. "Is she with you?" he asked, watching with an amused smile as the woman awkwardly pat her back.