Chapter Ten

Maddie

I closed my eyes as I packed the last of my things. I was happy the first semester of college was finally over, so I easily applied for a dorm and got one. Some people were leaving, because they either were expelled or their grades weren't up to par, but that's none of my business. I sipped the iced tea that my warm fingers were holding.

"You're seriously just going to leave?" Talia asked, her manicured eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "You can't just leave because Alex's girlfriend said so."

I rolled my eyes. Talia didn't understand the rude glares I get whenever I walked into the room, or the 'accidental' shoving, and Hailey even went as far as making me feel bad for taking Dana's room. It was supposedly a touchy subject for Alex, and he didn't like me talking about it, but when Hailey did it, it was okay. I didn't understand the sudden shift in our friendship, and if he kept acting the way he did, I wouldn't care about our friendship.

"Can you just help me with my bags?" Talia obliged, but she picked up the lightest bag she could find. Rolling my eyes, I lugged the huge bag down the stairs of the apartment, occasionally losing my balance and almost toppling over. Yet when I finally did, I was cushioned by strong arms and the softest blue eyes. Josh.

"Can you put me down?" I immediately asked, wiggling out of his grip. He stared at me weirdly as I stood up, still trying to go down the last flight of stairs. "Why are you even here? I didn't tell you I was moving today."

Josh looked hurt at my bluntness. It was time for me to change and act like it. That's when I realized I never really changed. My exterior may be different, but my interior was still the same innocent girl from Pennsylvania. I was still allowing Josh into my new life when he ruined the old one.

"Well, I didn't know you were moving until just now. I was just coming to say hi." Josh scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, shifting his weight uncomfortably as if he was weirded out with me being blunt. I was right. I was still the same girl from Pittsburgh, and that was not good.

"Okay. Bye." I threw my bag at him, and he caught it in one swift moment, and I made him carry it down the stairs before giving it back to me. I was actually a new me. I kind of liked it.

Talia watched the whole encounter in silence, silently chuckling herself as she watched Josh drive away. His family was always rich, but I guess since the years after I've left they got even richer.

"Bad breakup?" She asked. I shook my head.

"You have no idea."

---

I was finally at my new dorm and I didn't even know who my roommate was. She wasn't in the room, but her side was a complete mess. They were posters of bands I've never heard, clothes strewn all over the dull navy carpet, and a half eaten pizza lay across the dresser. I wasn't going to like it here.

Thats when I heard her clunky combat boots before I even saw her. I turned around and saw my new roommate. I immediately recognized her as the girl who helped me find Professor Rowan's class on the first day. I wish she just let me get lost. Her name was Codie.

"Oh, hey. I remember you." She sat down on her bed, stuffing her pack of cigarettes into her bag. "I'm guessing you're my new roommate?"

I nodded, not verbally responding. I didn't want to start a conversation, because I wasn't interested.

"I know this may be hard coming from your fancy apartment or whatever, but it's really not that bad once you know how to tune out all the annoying girls," Codie packed her short her into a high ponytail, which was usually quite awkward, but looked cute on her.

"It's not really that bad. I don't have to room with my annoying roommate and his even more annoying girlfriend." I began unpacking my bags, Codie helping me even though I never asked for it.

"I'm pretty sure you're talking about Alex and Hailey." Codie placed my lamp on the dresser. "We used to be friends, kind of. He told me that he got a hot new roommate. I'm guessing you were her."

My cheeks flushed, and a small smile came to my lips. He thought of me that way? My brain destroyed the thought instantly. Alex didn't care about me if he was willing to kick me out of the apartment just because his girlfriend asked him to. And then I remembered it. He had a girlfriend. And she was a bitch.

"I don't even know why she hates me." I stuffed a bunch of my clothes into the dresser.

As I stared at my bed, I was suddenly sad that I no longer had my plush queen sized bed, but was stuck with a tiny twin size one. I had never slept on anything smaller than a queen in my entire life. I realized that a lot of changes would happen that I hadn't thought out.

"Probably because you're like the new Dana." I cringed at the mention of Dana. Codie said her name so casually. I was finally done unpacking. It was the total opposite of Codie's side.

"What do you mean?" I asked, sitting on Codie's mint green beanbag chair, sinking into the material. Codie sat on the office chair.

"Because. Alex and Hailey have been friends since the minute they stepped foot on campus. Then Dana moved into his apartment, and they like fell in love or whatever. Personally, I don't believe in it," Codie started. "But anyways, Hailey got pissed as shit and like, tore them apart."

"Wait, they weren't torn apart." I looked at Codie in confusion. "They were madly in love. I didn't even know Hailey and Alex were friends while he dated Dana. And can we stop talking about her? I don't like talking about dead people."

Now it was Codie's turn to stare at me in confusion. I stared back.

"Are we talking about the same person?"

"Yeah," I said slowly. "Dana. Alex's ex. Used to sleep in the room I slept in."

"But we're talking about two different stories. The truth and whatever Alex told you." Codie sighed. "I don't know what he said, but Dana isn't dead."

My brain couldn't even function at this point. I was confused and didn't understand this whole situation. So... Dana wasn't dead? But why did Alex lie to me? Why couldn't he simply tell me what really happened?

"Look, Hailey got Alex drunk as hell and hooked up with him. She bragged about it to Dana the next day and Dana freaking lost it. She moved out the next day." Codie shrugged, and turned around, leaving me to think about Alex and Dana and all of this messed up stuff he had pulled me into.

"So... Dana isn't dead," I clarified. Codie sighed and turned back around to face me.

"No, Maddie." She paused. "In fact, she still goes to this school."

So that's why Alex didn't want me talking about Dana. He didn't want me to realize he was lying about the whole situation. My nostrils flared with anger.

He had a lot of explaining to do.

---

lol i just thought of this and was like frick ya plot twist.

20 comments and 45 votes for more