Chapter Six

Maddie had gotten use to her new life in California. She got use to Alex and his sexual innuendos, and Talia's perkiness. She got use to the fact that somehow Paige had wedged herself into Maddie's new life and she was somewhat okay with that.

She was laying on her bed, watching random shows on Netflix until Talia returned from the drug store with her medicine. She had a terrible cold and a killer headache,and the fact that Alex was banging a girl in the next room wasn't helping.

Sighing bitterly, the brunette shut her laptop and rolled over, trying to muffle the god forsaken noises. She was wondering where Talia was and hoped she would set Alex in his place. It wasn't even nine yet and he brought another girl to their apartment. Maddie knew it shouldn't have bothered her this much but it did and she couldn't help it.

A few minutes later, she heard the girl yelling at Alex, calling him a dildo because he isn't special enough to be called a dick. He probably did the hump and dump, Maddie thought. She smiled to herself. That was the only thing that Maddie really liked about his hookups. They never stayed.

"Maddie?" Talia asked softly, slowly opening the door.

There Talia finally was with a plastic bag in hand, full of aspirin and a thermos of soup. She had gone by her aunt's store, and picked up a free sample of one of their newest options.

"I'm awake." Maddie smiled and thankfully took the bag and soup from Talia's hands, who placed a light kiss on Maddie's forehead before leaving the room.

She was thankful she got sick on the weekend because college was gruesome. If she missed one day, she might as well drop out then and there because there was no way she could catch up. Sipping the soup slowly, she stared into nothingness as she recapped her life.

I heard the unmistakable yet, most annoying sound of the plastic bag being ripped open. Potato chips flew everywhere and Josh lost is his grip on the bag, and it flew into the air.

I lifted my head of of Josh's shoulder abruptly, and turned to glare at him.

"Nice going, stupid." I snorted, getting up to find the bag.

"Thanks." He replied, following my lead.

That was the first time she let a boy into her house. And she wished it wasn't Josh of all boys. He was manipulative, cruel and everything Maddie use to love.

Shedding a single tear, the young adult wiped it away as fast as it came. Taking a deep breath, she recomposed herself. She wasn't the old Maddie, she was the new one. The confident one. The one that has the heart that doesn't even beat.

Because how can someone break a heart that's already broken?

Maddie wished she could be as emotionless as Codie but she couldn't because there was always that tiny bit of her that loved One Direction, hated the color red and loved to wear her hair down. But that part could never shine because that part was vulnerable and the word made Maddie's skin crawl.

Shivering, Maddie placed the soup on her bedside table and popped a couple of tablets into her mouth, swallowing them whole. She was drifting off to sleep once again when she heard her door open, heavy footsteps walking in.

"Maddie?" Alex asked, roughly shaking her.

She woke up with a start, nearly whacking the poor boy in the face. She couldn't help it, it was an instinct. Rubbing her eyelids, Maddie turned angrily to face her roommate. Why would he wake her up from her slumber?

"Can I sleep with you?" He asked shyly, a shade of pink pooling into his already rosy cheeks.

Maddie raised an eyebrow, unsure of his intentions. It was Alex they were talking about. One of the most sought out boys on campus.

"No, not like that," He quickly added, nervously chuckling. "I'm just having.. bad dreams and I kind of need to sleep in this room."

"Why this room?" Maddie asked, now fully awake as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"It's a story that I really don't want to tell, but please?" He pleaded, sounding so desperate that Maddie couldn't help but cave in and say yes.

Alex breathed a sigh of relief as Maddie moved over, allowing him space to lay on her bed. Maddie slowly moved herself to the opposite side, now fully aware that there was a very good looking boy in her bed and he wasn't trying anything. She felt good and bad and the same time.

"I'm don't carry any diseases, you can lay next to me," Alex mumbled, rolling Maddie over and bringing her into his chest which smelled like nothing but Tide and raspberries. Maddie loved raspberries.

"Whatever," She replied dumbly, not being able to come up with a witty comeback because she was so caught up in the fact that she was in bed with him. Not even sexually, just two opposite genders in the same bed doing nothing but tenderly holding each other. She had never done this with Josh. She had never done a lot of things with Josh.

"Can I kiss you?" Alex hesitantly asked, lifting Maddie's chin up, simultaneously tucking a strand of her wavy brown hair behind her ear.

"N-n.. I.. I'm going to sleep," She finally choked out, turning the opposite way and flushing of embarrassment.

She had the perfect opportunity and he probably hated her now. But Maddie couldn't just kiss Alex. She would never be one of his one night stands although she had many herself. She had a person running through her mind while she was so close to Alex that their lips were almost already touching.

Josh.

And she had never felt so ashamed in her entire life.

WOW IM SO SORRY OH MY GOD I FINALLY UPDATED AFTER LITERALLY LIKE 6 MONTHS OMG PARTY 4 MY RETURN

40 VOTES N 20 COMMENTS FOR MORE PLEASE (( 19 comments from the same person doesn't count everyone cough cough ))