Chapter One

One: "My Parts Would Tell Me Otherwise"

I groaned as l finished up the remains of my Chinese food and pushed it towards the end of the table. Talia may look small and delicate, but she could eat like a pig. Literally.

"Alex should be here any second now," Talia muttered as she glanced at her wrist watch.

"It's like 1 AM," I scoffed. "What kind of college party ends at 1 AM?"

Talia shrugged and got up from her seat, signaling she was about to go to bed. I followed her lead and threw my tray into the garbage, before saying goodnight to Talia.

I let my hair fall free as I took my hair the out, and it felt good. I wiped my face off with wipes, clearing off all the products off my face. I felt like the old Maddie, the one that I tried so many years to go rid of.

"Promise me we'll always be besties," A six-year-old Scarlet squeaked.

I nodded vigorously and hugged what was my best friend.

"Best friends forever," I chirped. "Promise."

I resisted the urge to smack my head for remembering Maine. I let out a loud "Ugh!" As I raked my hands along my face. I hated this face so much. I wanted to hide under lipstick and blush and concealer forever. Unfortunately, it's bad for your skin.

My eyes were drooping as I changed into my pajamas, consisting of one of my Dad's old t-shirts, ending just below my waist. And that was it.

I slipped on my fuzzy socks, because they were, well, comfy.

I snuggled into my new bed, appreciating the softness. I smiled dreamily as I drifted off into sleep, knowing I would start college in just three days.

Bang.

My eyes flew open as I sat upright, a response to the sudden noise. What the hell was that? Scared out of my mind, I tore the covers off of my exposed body and cautiously made my way towards my door.

I grabbed the first thing my hands could come across, which sadly was a brush. I cursed at my luck as I slowly opened my door to reveal a pitch black hallway.

The light was suddenly flicked on and I whipped my body to face a person who was dressed in a black hoodie and dark washed skinny jeans.

A high pitched scream erupted from my mouth as I swung the brush furiously with horrible aim, only hitting him once in the shoulder. He harshly grabbed my wrist, which caused me to let out an even louder scream.

"Talia!" I yelled. "I'm gonna die!"

The person rolled their eyes, and I let myself fall down onto the floor and curled up into a fetal position.

"I never thought I would be murdered," I croaked.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" A deep voice growled.

I sat upright and glared at the hoodied person. My murderer was scary and stupid.

"You're gonna kill me, aren't you?"

"So this is the new roommate," The person said under their breath.

A groggy Talia came out of her room, rubbing her eyes feverishly. So now she decides to come out?

"New roommate? Who are you?"

"I'm Alex, Talia's roommate," The person- Alex, said in a duh tone.

I cleared my throat and quickly stood up, realizing how embarrassing the situation was. I mean, I was about to start sobbing in front of a guy, who was not also my roommate, but also insanely gorgeous!

"So now you guys have finally met," Talia murmured, before turning around and walking into her room, before slamming it shut.

"You scared the shit out of me," I hissed, poking him in his- incredibly hard- chest.

Alex chuckled, and pushed back his hoodie to reveal a messy mop of black curls and adorable hazel eyes.

"Yeah, I noticed," He said.

His eyes suddenly went down, causing me to realize I wasn't wearing pants. Or shorts. Barely anything for that matter.

"If Talia told me that you dressed like this I would've gotten back sooner," He licked his lips.

"I thought you were a girl, okay?"

"My parts would tell me otherwise," He replied.

I rolled my eyes at his totally boyish response. I mean, I didn't think that Talia would room alone with a guy! It's completely not... not something, okay? I'll come up with a smart word later.

I scrunched my nose in disgust.

"Gross," I told him. "Totally didn't need to know that."

"The more you know," He said in a dramatic tone.

I pushed past him to get back to my room, not wanting to continue the childish argument.

--

I sipped my Starbucks as I coldly stared at Alex.

I was wearing a gray tank top and denim shorts, with leggings. I was wearing shiny black Docs and a shredded denim jacket, seeing as it was getting chilly already in early September.

I had my hair in my signature high ponytail and my lips painted in my favorite lipstick. Neither of us attempted to hold a conversation more than two sentences long. A question and response. Nothing more, nothing less. The only reason we had agreed to go along on this stupid get together was because Talia threatened to kick us out if we didn't.

So voila; here we are.

The bells chimed so I craned my head to see who had entered the cafe.

My eyes widened so much I was afraid they were going to fall out of their sockets.

"Holy fuck," I whispered.

Mr. Josh Douchebag Hyland was here, and he was staring right at me.

Yeah. Cliche, I know. I promise it gets better!

25 votes and 10 comments for more!