Chapter Sixteen

Practice for the Winter Classic was dreadful. Ingrid wouldn't let me live down the fact that I was her understudy, nor would Riley. However, Riley's comments didn't even come close to hurting me because she plays a mere villager. I contemplated complaining to Miss Adaline, but I knew she wouldn't do anything about Ingrid because of her clear bias towards her and the clear dislike she harbored towards me.

After practice, I changed into a fitted tee and sweatpants, only to be meeted by Ingrid as I stepped out of the room. Her bright blonde hair fell down to her ribcage in barely noticeable waves, and her pale blue eyes were always startlingly serious.

"What do you want?" I barked, shoving past her aggressively, and continued walking towards the exit of the building, not waiting for her unwanted response.

"To talk," She said, falling in step with me. "I need your help."

Scoffing, I stopped and turned to look at her. She was perfect. How could I help her?

"With what?" I asked stupidly. I should've just kept walking."

"Boys."

Oh you've got to be kidding me.

Turns out, as she later explained, she was developing feelings toward a guy named Lewis in her lecture hall. (How you could ever crush on a guy with the name Lewis was beyond me.) However, it piqued my interest that she wanted help from me, of all people. From what I noticed, Riley had no trouble in the boy department. So, why doesn't Ingrid go to her best friend for guidance.

And when I asked, she said, "Riley and I don't have the same taste. You need different tactics to get different types of boys." And when I stared at her with confusion, she added on. "So, like, I can't talk about Einstein and the laws of Physics with frat boys. And I can't suggest beer games to the geeky types. It doesn't work."

I had to give it to her, the bitch was right. Riley did have the tendency to go after jocky, Frat-type boys while Ingrid usually lusted after the gentleman type. I was the inbetween. Alex was the inbetween.

"So, you really think I'm going to help you after all the shit you've given me?" I asked Ingrid, arching an eyebrow. She seemed to be expecting that question, rightfully, and rolled her eyes.

"Do you really think I would've come to you if I wasn't so desperate?" She breathed. "I'm sorry, okay? But this is my dance program. My ballet. And I'm not gonna let a frosh take it. Simple. But I'll lay off the rude stuff and I'll tell Riley to as well. Happy?"

I smirked. Indeed I was.

**

I spent the rest of my Sunday afternoon catching up on papers and actually doing what I was supposed to do when I came to college; learn. It was harder than high school both academically and socially. There are thousands of people here just like you, wanting to make friends with the other thousands of kids.

Codie was knocked out on her bed, per usual. Sometimes I worried about her, seeing as I never saw her studying or doing homework. Midterms week was coming up in less than two months and I just wanted her to be at the top of her game. I didn't want her to get expelled. She was one of my only friends.

As I finished up my BioChem paper, my Mac dinged. It was a FaceTime request from mackziegs01@gmail.com. Grinning at my little sister's childish email address, I clicked accept.

Mackenzie's face popped onto the screen, and she looked... different. In a weird way. Her hair was a dark shade of purple, on the verge of violet, and her brown eyes were accented with eyeshadow and eyeliner. Mackenzie hated makeup, and loathed it every time we had to put it on for a competition.

"Hey?" I said, though it sounded more like a question.

"Madison," She answered coolly, looking anywhere but the camera, as if she was forced to call me.

"What's up?"

"Nothing. I transferred to Jefferson a couple of weeks ago. I have a new boyfriend." She rolled her eyes. "Mom forced me to call you, so don't think I care about you."

What? She's still mad at me about what happened with Isaac? It was completely out my control and it wasn't even my fault, anyway. It was Brooke and Josh's. Brooke for coming up with the stupid bet and Josh for actually going along with it.

"What's going on?" I asked, putting my full attention on the screen.

"Ugh, I don't care about you so please don't care about me. I just want to get these three minutes over with. Two minutes and thirty two seconds, thirty one..." She trailed off, counting down.

"What's your boyfriend's name?"

"As if you care." She scoffed. "What about you? Are you still having sex with Alex? Or are you still obsessed with Josh?"

Tears burned my eyes. How could my little sister be saying these things to me? I didn't understand what I did and why our mom forced her to call me, but I never wanted to talk to Mackenzie again.

"I never had sex with Alex!" I exclaimed, getting frustrated. "And I was never obsessed with Josh. You were the one that wanted me to go after him even though he broke my heart!"

Mackenzie smirked and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Really, Madison?" She asked rhetorically. "You never connected the dots? I wanted you to get your heart broken again! I liked Josh, okay? All of the girls in my grade did. And it hurt, that out of everyone that could've dated him, you did."

"You're acting like he didn't date me for a bet!" I cried out, wanting to rip my hair from my scalp.

"Exactly! And when I found it that it was a bet, I was so happy. I wanted you to go after him just so you could get your heart broken. Again. But looks like you didn't need Josh, because Alex already did the job."

I was shocked. I didn't even know what to say. What was there to say? It was clear that something happened to my sister and she was taking her anger out on me. These things couldn't me true... could they?

"Don't think I don't know, Madison. I know more about you than you think."

"Kenzie, stop-"

"No, Madison," She snarled. "You can't call me Kenzie. That is reserved for people I care about. And I definitely don't care about you."

The FaceTime ended with that, and I didn't even know what to do. I wasn't in the mood to study anymore, and I just wanted to go to sleep.

As I shoved my books in my bed and turned to lay onto my bed, I saw Cody staring at me with slightly widened eyes. Had she heard anything?

"Someone dated you for a bet?"

I guess she did.

--

finally updated lol