See You Around, Green Eyes

"All the good girls go to hell. 'Cause even God herself has enemies. And once the water starts to rise and heaven's out of sight, she'll want the devil on her team."—Billie Eilish.

Chapter Theme Song: 'all the good girls go to hell' by Billie Eilish.

••

Harmony

The day has dawn crisp and bright, as the sun drips its yellow yolk through the open window, covering the room with its soft orange hue. I open bleary eyes to regard the clock sitting on the wooden table next to me.

7:05 am.

I have class at eight and I'd hate to be late for my first lecture, so although my eyes are heavy and I feel like I've been running a thousand miles per hour, I have to gather the strength to get up.

I knew attending that orientation-party thingy last night was a bad idea. Feeling lethargic on your first day isn't something you'd want to start the term with. I've been able to overcome the countless amount of peer pressure during high school, hence, I am not sure why I allowed my roommate to influence me to attend that social gathering last night.

It was not an orientation—well not the type that I am used to, and the only thing I attained from it all was a weird boy gawking at me as if I had a booger in my nose. Stripping oneself in front of a bunch of screaming girls has nothing to do with the curriculum of Homewood furthermore, and I don't see how it'd assist me with getting my degree. This is one weird college.

A hand sprawling over the top-bed tells me that April is still asleep. I had high hopes of getting the top section of the bunk bed, but after returning last night to see a giant spider hovering above the headboard, I decided that a little squeak is far more optional than insects.

I reach for my duffel bag from the floor beside me and begin digging through for something to wear to class. I settle with a beige skirt and a white long-sleeved top.

I get up from my bed, grimacing at the cold tiles as I mince my way to the bathroom. The space is small and consists of a shower, a toilet, a face basin, and a white wooden cabinet. I place my chosen pair onto a small table in the corner before quickly stripping out of my clothes. I brush my teeth then get under the shower, switching the pipe on and sighing when the cool water begins to race down my body.

Early morning showers are the best. It makes for a reenergized spirit and offers a short moment of mediation before embarking on a long day. I will need energy today more than anything. College is not high school, and I know it's going to take some serious effort for me to get accustomed to the change in curriculum and environment. It's especially difficult for someone like me whose skin crawls at the sight of new faces. Changes are not something I am fond of.

After a long moment of self-reflection, I finally turn the pipe off and climb out of the shower. I dry off then get dressed before exiting the bathroom with my worn clothes in hand.

April is finally up and making her bed, and I smile as I put away the clothes I had taken off.

"Good morning."

She swings her head around and her eyes rake over my attire. I shift in discomfort as she ogles me from head to toe.

"Good morning. Are you wearing that to class?"

My eyebrows furrow in puzzlement as I assess my clothes. "Uhm...yeah. Why?" Certainly, there is nothing wrong with my choice of attire. I dress rather conservatively; my legs and cleavage are always covered. I just feel it is always best to leave things to people's imagination.