ELEVEN

--ATALANTA--

Greek mythology

According to the Bibliotheca of pseudo-Apollodorus, Atalanta was the daughter of Iasus, son of Lycurgus and Clymene, daughter of Minyas. The Bibliotheca is the only source which gives an account of Atalanta's birth and upbringing. Prince Iasus wanted a son; so when Atalanta was born, he left her on a mountaintop to die. Some stories say that a she-bear suckled and cared for Atalanta until the Hunters of Artemis found and raised her, and she learned to fight and hunt as a bear would. She was later reunited with her father.

I often thought that her story was similar to me. When my father, Neptune left me with Lady Athena/Minerva. Disowned me. I was thankful for Athena/Minerva's care while I was small, but still, I wanted badly to meet my father. Athena/Minerva never told me why Neptune didn't want me. And... I've never met my father before, not even once. I guess I hoped I could at least see him, even if just for once. Maybe I would reunite with my father, just like Atalanta did.

- - -

Atalanta POV

I sighed as I walked down a path along the canoe lake.

The day after the incident, I did everything to avoid Percy Jackson. He kept trying to ask me questions, but I stuck to Leila and Janice and Zack most of the time. Even though I got more beating from them, it was a good idea, because every time Percy tried to come near me, Leila and her friends would pester him with questions, and so he was unable to reach me. Eventually, I think, he gave up on Day Two.

Victory to Atalanta!

Bah, whatever.

There was a cave at the end, and I went over to it for a rest. As I neared it, I heard a voice.

"Dad!" It sounded familiar... Oh. It was Percy's voice. I debated leaving, I didn't want to listen to this conversation, which was clearly private,but he said dad. Was he talking to Poseidon?

"That girl, Atalanta! I'm telling you, it's true! She could breath underwater! She must be your daughter or something. I dunno!" I poked my head inside. Percy had his back to me, and there was a screen projected in front of him with a man in the screen. Iris-messaging, I remembered.It was a Greek form of communicating.

The man had dark hair and sea-green eyes like Percy's, and he wore a colourful hawaiian T-shirt. He wore a yellow cap saying "Neptune's Lucky Fishing Cap", and he held a golden trident in one hand. Poseidon, I thought. Dad. Poseidon smiled, "ah, son. I would know if she was my daughter. Obviously I don't know about about this Atalanta, and I would've told you if I had another child."

I felt slightly disappointed. But then, my father was Neptune, so... it was probably normal that Poseidon didn't know. Probably.

"How many kids do you have?!! You couldn't have just forgotten, you have, like, one kid only. Me! But she must be your daughter! Your other form, Neptune! She's Neptune's daughter, right?"

"I don't know. This is my Greek form, not my Roman-" Poseidon looked behind Percy, straight at me. He looked shocked for a second, and he stammered at his words, "I-I need to go." Then the screen disappeared. I could've sworn Poseidon flicked a finger at me before he left. Percy turned, but before he could see me, I was swallowed by the waves that had welled up behind me.

I fell backwards, into the waves, and blacked out. The last thing I remembered seeing was the sand, and a confused Percy.