Chapter 4, A Greater Threat

Later that time, I was dropped off near the sight of what happened. With nobody else but me, taking caution is necessary. Holding my PDR-C in one hand and walking on, the surroundings made me uneasy. Normally our scanners pick up almost anything. Even the small bugs we barely see flying around us.

This however- was different. As if the whole last night never happened, even the objects that fell from the sky were gone and so were the craters made by them.

"I know you're watching me, Volt."

Josh sighed over the radio. "Got bored, nothing to do. Might as well watch over you, right?"

I looked at the sky, expecting to see our gunship flying overhead.

"Wouldn't see me, buddy. I'm at 55 thousand feet above you."

Shrugging and moving on, my boot hit something. 

A chain.

Bending over and picking it up, I give it a good stare. Nothing out of the ordinary but I may as well take it with me. From a corner of my HUD, the motion sensor began indicating movement within 20 yards away, south of where I'm facing.  

"I don't like the feeling of this, Josh, give me a view."

"Negative," he replies. "A sudden error has been caused in the scanning systems. I can, however, give you what I see."

From the corner of my HUD, the image of the sight last night was gone as if it never happened. Furthermore, it seems like I'm not alone...

The two moving figures have gotten closer. No further than 10 meters over the hill...

-----------------

So many things in life, sorry for the little updates. I'll make it better next time!