Chapter 16

The Gorilla dropped Adrien and Marinette not far from where several boats were docked along the shoreline. Helping Marinette out of the car, Adrien slid his arm around her and kissed her on top of the head, she seemed far away in her thoughts, but the small smile
on her face let him know they were good thoughts. "Are you feeling alright my love?" He asked, genuine care and concern in his voice. Marinette looked up at him as they walked.

"I'm fine Kitty." She smiled at him before resting her head against him with a happy sigh. "More than fine."

"Are you sure?" He couldn't help himself double checking. "I mean, I know it was a first for both of us, but it's different for girls and I..." she cut him off by stopping and pulling him down to her, kissing him soundly on the lips.

"You know I would tell you if I wasn't okay." She said, her face pinking up a little at the memories of their afternoon together. Every touch, every movement had been so soft, so gentle that she had felt nothing but being surrounded by his love and yet he still worried that he might have in some way hurt her or made her uncomfortable. "So you don't have to worry about me." Adrien picked up her hand, kissing her on the palm.

"I know." He said, entwining their fingers as they resumed walking. "But you know I can't help worrying about you m'lady." Marinette felt a warmth run all the way through her as they walked through the late afternoon sun, their favourite colours of pink, orange and yellow streaked through the sky and on the water. This, Marinette thought to herself, this is where I belong, right by your side, my Kitty. She had a feeling Adrien was thinking the same thing.

Soon the young couple approached where the Liberty was at anchor along the Seine. There was the faint strings of a guitar filling the air, although judging by what she had heard, Marinette suspected that it was most likely Juleka playing rather than Luka. Walking up the gangplank, Luka's mother, Anarka, greeted them. "I'm glad to see you finally found your true north there young Marinette." She said with a wink at the girl as she patted Adrien on the shoulder. Marinette could see Adrien looking confused and she didn't really want to have to explain to him how everyone thought she had been confused between him and Luka years ago. "I hope you can help my poor Luka here find his way back to his. He's been in a dreadful state since he returned from the states. I don't mind telling you, but I was worried this might happen when Kagami's mother found out. I tried to warn him about it, but he just fell so hard and fast for her. She's his lighthouse, but right now he's lost in the storm."

"Don't worry Mrs Coffaine." Marinette said. "We'll help get his light back." Anarka nodded.

"Well, if I can help let me know. We are ready to sail at a moment's notice if needed." With that she headed down to the shore.

On the deck, Juleka continued to play while Luka sat next to her, the back of his head all that was visible as he looked out at the evening sky.

"Hello?" Marinette called out, capturing their attention. She almost had to hold back a gasp when Luka turned around. He really did look terrible. Marinette had never seen his hair so unkept, or the three day growth on his face, but what really stuck her was his eyes. Lack of sleep evident from the bags under them and the hollow look of sheer hopelessness in his sky blue irises.

"Marinette." He called out, jumping out of his seat and wrapping his arms around the bluenette. "It's so good to see you. Juleka told me what happened to you at school today, are you alright?" He stepped back, hands on her shoulders and looking at her full of concern.

"I'm fine Luka." She said with a soft smile before turning to her boyfriend. "Adrien took good care of me." Luka turned his head to the blonde before stepping over and giving him a hug too. Adrien was surprised at first, but understood Luka's need for comfort from his friends. "You hang on to her Adrien, don't make my mistake and think things will be fine when you come back." Adrien patted him on the back.