Chapter 8

The sun had now fully set and the trees around the lake that was beside the fairground were decorated with pretty fairy lights twinkling against the moonless sky. It looked quite magical really. Finding a free table, Adrien and Marinette sat side by side and shared a tub of curly fries as they watched the many children running along chasing after the glow in the dark bubbles being created by the roving entertainers. Marinette caught a glimpse of Manon among the children running and laughing. Lila was leaning against a nearby tree talking (more like flirting) with a guy. Adrien seemed to have recognised him and screwed up his nose. "Friend of yours?" Marinette asked, amused at the disgusted look in his face.

"Not exactly. His name's Ricky. Came over from the United States for a special advertising campaign. I only met him a few times, but I think he was working with Lila throughout the week." He shook his head. "She's gotten a bit of a reputation for flirting with most of the models. He seems to be reciprocating though." Adrien shook his head. At least she wasn't flirting with him for a change.

A little further away Nadja Chamack was recording a story for the evening news. She was interviewing one of the roving actors who had a bubble wand.

"Is that Mylène's dad Mrs Chamack is interviewing?" Marinette asked as the man in question gave a demonstration on a unicycle with a trail of bubbles drifting behind him.

"Yeah, I think it is." Adrien observed. "I wonder if he always wanted to be an actor or if it was something he just fell into too?" Marinette turned to Adrien and saw a perplexing look on his face as he watched the man on the unicycle. "Did you always want to be a designer?" He shifted his eyes to hers, a wistfulness evident in his emerald gaze.

"Pretty much since I can remember." She answered. "My parents have taught me a lot about baking and running the shop, but they always encouraged me to follow my own path and to chase my dreams. I know I can always fall back on the bakery if things don't work out, but I want to at least try." Adrien took her hand in his again with a warm smile.

"You don't have to try Marinette, you will definitely make it." A soft blush touched her cheeks. "I remember how impressed my father was with your hat back in collége, and even Audrey Bourgois offered for you to go to New York with her. You're so talented Marinette, don't sell yourself short."

"I'll take your word for it." She giggled, tucking a loose hair behind her ear with her free hand. "What about you Mr Model? Any grand plans to conquer the world stage?" Adrien looked down and shook his head.

"My father would probably like that, but I'm not really interested." Marinette noticed he had started making small circles with his thumb on her hand. "I'd be just as happy to step out of the spotlight and work behind the scenes. I'm going to be studying business at uni and I have some ideas for how I'd like the company to look in the future, starting with who will be my head designer." He met her eyes and his heart beat faster at the soft look she was giving him. "Marinette, you are one of the most amazing people I have ever met and I..."

There was a scream and commotion taking place by the lake. Adrien instantly stood up, taking a defensive position in front of Marinette. Maybe it was an akuma?

"Manon!" A woman's voice yelled. Both Adrien and Marinette raced down to the water's edge to find Manon with her arms flailing trying to call out to her mother who was frantic at the shoreline. Adrien kicked his shoes off and was about to dive into the water when Marinette stopped him.

"Wait Adrien, give me your belt." Adrien whipped his head around with wide eyes at Marinette.

"What?" He felt like he was having a moment of deja vu.

"Give me your belt and hold on to it. She's panicking and might drag you down under with her." Adrien couldn't get his head around the look of determination in Marinette's face, or the calmness she was showing under the circumstances, but he somehow knew he could trust her without question. Taking his belt off he handed her one end and watched her take a firm grip.