chapter 8

chapter 8:
A girl worth fighting for.
Mulan

"Our provisions are gone. We have no food for the children. The Paladins have burnt six more farms, including two that supplied our milled flour. There's only one working mill left; Moycraig. And one road to it. A small convoy from Moycraig will bring food stores to us here, but they will need a guide."

One road?

"I'll meet with the convoy. Alone," Gawain spoke up, "We can't risk attracting attention."

"That's a mistake," Arthur approached us.

"Anyone else wonder why that road is still open? Our gang used to shut down roads all the time to funnel the mark down one we owned. The Red Paladins are luring you here," Arthur tapped on the map.

"If you're going to take the bait, take the security to protect yourself."

He is right.

"You'll need six men at least to defend yourselves. I'll accompany you."

"I don't ride with men I don't trust," Gawain set his hands on his waist.

"Man Blood bones snap too easily, and they eat more than they share," An Elder lectured Arthur.

"But, our fighters are spread too thin within cities. You should take the help. I can spare three."

"And I can spare myself," I spoke up, catching all eyes.

"All this talk of men going yet no women volunteer in their place? And you say you only have Queens," I crossed my arms.

"Mulan, we need you here. We cannot risk-"

"I won't be having kids anytime soon, and I don't have a husband, so. . ."

"If I am to die, it is to be serving the life sentence you should have given me. If I am to die, it will be fighting for the Fey," I declared.

"Six of us still isn't enough," Arthur sighed.

"This your second in command?" Gawain pointed at the scrawny Fey boy beside him.

"He'll do just fine," Arthur patted him on the back.

We're truly doomed.

________________

All was silent for just a second until chaos was brought upon us. An arrow pierced through his throat, and he quickly fell to the ground, panting, which only made him die quicker.

"Arthur, look out!" I ran off my horse and pushed him out of the way of the quick arrow, landing ontop of him.

But I quickly got up and gripped my blades in my hands, ready to defend him, but the man who shot at him revealed himself in his signature cloak and weeping eyes.

You!

Arthur ran forward, not giving me time to register that Lancelot was here, but he just tossed Arthur aside like nothing and smirked to himself.

"You bastard!"

I cried out, swinging my blades at him but he quickly stopped them from slicing at his face with his sword and his eyes widened.

"Mulan. . .?"

"You barely even recognize me!" I yelled out, stomping on his foot and he flinched, dodging my blades easily because I was driven by my emotions and sloppy.

"What did they tell you that night, hm? That I just ran off? That they killed me? What excuses did they make up for their god?!" I screamed, and his eyes showed genuine confusion, but he's a Fey. He's one of them. Who knows what abilities he has.

"Mulan, move!" Arthur shoved me aside and I fell to the ground. Arthur took a protective stance over me and Lancelot analyzed us both, trying to figure out why he was protecting the very person who killed Fey.

I don't know what it was, but it triggered him within. Without even pulling out his sword, he dodged Arthur and kicked him and beat him until he was on the ground. His eyes held rage and fear, all targeted towards Arthur and with no other outlet, Arthur would surely die. Poised over him with his sword, Lancelot mumbled underneath his breath, and my heart stopped.

N-no. . .

Surely he doesn't-

"Agh!"

"Gawain!" He helped us up.

"Come on, Man Blood, we must go."

"The horses-"

"There's no time," Gawain concurred.

"But-"

"Shut up and let's move!" I yelled, quickly throwing stars at the few Paladins around us and they either fell from being impaled in the head or cried out in pain and stopped to get it out.

"Where did those come from-?!"

"Not of importance right now!" We rushed inside the windmill and slammed the doors shut as Paladins circled us and I slid down the wall.

"Fuck," I breathed out, holding my side and releasing it to see my hand covered in blood.

Shit.

I must have been hit when I wasn't paying attention.

I lifted the torn cloth and examined the wound. It looked like an arrow went past me, the tip catching my skin and creating a nasty gash.

"Mulan, are you okay?" Arthur asked, stooping down to my level.

"Y-yes, of course I am," I felt so weak, not even being able to stop him from seeing the blood on my hand.

"Shit. We need to get her out of here as soon as possible!" Gawain came to my side and ripped a small part of my kimono, applying pressure and I winced.

"Green Knight, if you wish to keep your Fey safe, turn over the Soulless Soldier and yourself."

"D-Don't listen to him. He won't let anyone escape here. . .but, maybe if I go with him-"

"No! That's suicide, Mulan," Arthur protested and I smiled.

"Look at you, worried about a girl who burnt Nimues village," I chuckled as I forced myself up and headed towards the door, lazily opening it up and limping towards him with a frown.

"Agh!" He caught me, his hand on my waist and it made me shiver as the other touched my face.

"Are you alri-?" I spat blood in his face.

"Don't touch me. . ." I got lightheaded and fell into him again, and he held me bridal style as dark spots clouded my vision and the real fight for survival began.