chapter 1

chapter 1:
morals.
Mulan

"Dear, the Paladins are coming! Quick, we must hi-!"

Her throat was greeted by my blade and she fell to the ground, choking on her own blood and suffering, as she should. I shook off the disgusting coat she gave me once I got here and got to work.

Stupid Fey.

My mission was to get on the inside of this Fey village before the Paladins could be rushed in by the church, and I succeeded into convincing these Fey people that I was one of them.

Do they really not know the difference?

And yet they cower in fear when we come.

The pounding of hooves hitting the ground signaled my people were coming and I quickly tied up my hair and rewrapped my chest, awaiting the signal of my friend. I threw on my leather bodice and black cloak, my arrows resting on my back and awaiting their time to sink into the flesh of the unsuspecting Fey creatures.

"Mulan. . ."

Now.

I ran outside and stuck my hand out just as he rode by. He grasped onto my arm and pulled me onto the back of his horse, and my hands were immediate in grabbing my arrows and I awaited to see any Fey attempting an escape from the village.

"Three on your right. The boats," He told me, and I strung on two more arrows before firing and everytime, it gave me bliss. It was almost in slow motion as the arrows pierced their cursed flesh. The first girl, it went straight through her throat and her deceased body fell face first into the banks of the lake. The second arrow pierced the others' spine and she would soon lose all feeling in her body. The third girl was lucky, as the arrow struck her thigh, but that luck only lasted so long as a Paladin quickly struck her down with an axe.

The rest was easy as we rode on the outskirts and within the village. Their screams shriveled up in the air and their cries ended with the first swing of the sword. They didn’t deserve life, not after what I found out about them. I am grateful everyday for Father Carden, for if he did not tell me about the Fey, my revenge would have gone unchecked.

"Fey Archers from the North!" Paladins cried out as arrows reigned from the sky.

Shit.

"Mulan," My heart jumped when he said my name. We were out infront of fleeing Fey, what if one of them heard him say my name? What if they found out that the Soulless Soldier was a woman?

"She's getting away," I turned to see a Fey girl in a blue dress running away into the thick of the forrest.

We cannot catch up now.

Carden will need us.

I lifted my fingers to my mouth and whistled, signaling my personal favorite part of being part of the church and the Paladins.

My wolves.

They all perked up at the sound of my whistle and ran to me as I jumped off the horse. Stooping down, my eyes connected with theirs and they entered my soul.

A gift from God is what Carden told me.

Within a few seconds, they knew who to chase, and began their hunt by racing past me with their paws pounding into the ground.

She won't survive a second out there.

None of them will.

"Father," I bowed before him, along with the Weeping Monk and he touched our heads.

"God smiles upon you both today," He smiled down at us and I got up eagerly.

"Father Carden, she has done nicely today. She has sent out the wolves to kill the Fey who escaped the Paladins grasp," He told Father Carden, and he graced me with a kind smile.

"Well done, my dear."

"Only the best for the Chur-"

"A child is getting away!"

A Paladin shouted out, and I turned to see a little boy running as fast as a fox and I quickly equipped my bow. Just as I predicted his movements and pulled back the arrow, I felt someone nudge my foot.

I glanced to see the Weeping Monk himself, not glaring or even giving me a stoic expression, but his eyes pleading for me not to hurt the boy.

"Please," He whispered.

"Shoot him!" Carden startled me and I let go, but it was he was already out of sight.

"Why didn't you shoot him?!" He slapped me across the face and I bowed at his feet.

"I-I'm sorry, he was too fast for me," He stomped away and the monk stooped down and offered his hand.

"Are you alright?" He asked, genuine concern lacing his voice as he looked at my stinging cheek.

"The Church surely knows that children are no harm to us. . .why did I even listen-?"

"It means you have a soul. And I apologize for you getting hurt for my actions," He apologized, and that's when I found his gaze. It was no longer on my cheek, yet staring into my eyes and I glanced away in confusion.

Why is he staring like that?

"Weeping Monk, Father Carden wishes to speak with you," A Paladin spoke up, and he released his hand from mine. Unbeknownst to me, we were still holding hands from before and I felt a slight tug within me when he let go. I was left confused on my own morals, wondering if they even mattered in the eyes of the Church and the eyes of God.