Chapter 20: Distraught

Isabelle's POV

I stare at myself in the mirror after applying a subtle rosy color to my lips. Trying to look decent just in case I see Cameron around the halls.

School was the same as all previous day. I relay the events of this week and today's in my head, trying to see if anything went differently at all. Cameron hasn't attempted to talk to me since monday, today was friday.

Walking to the parking lot, after putting some things in my locker, I round up the corner to push on the glass door to exit the Senior Building. My cellphone chimes. Most likely Max was asking if I still wanted to do this. Even though we had been spying on Cam and Hannah the day after we made our deal, he always wanted to make sure I still felt comfortable.

*Are you sure? You already know we don't have to do this if you don't want to...*

*Yes, I'm sure."

He sent another one a moment after.

*I'll meet you around the corner of the usual building ;).*

I stash my phone, a bit too harshly, into my light brown cross-body school bag. Why does he think this will affect me more than it should? I already saw Cam make out with Hannah relentlessly in front of me. Without any type of friend support either.

Not to mention, I even drove myself to Max's.

I was walking and checking my phone at the same time, I didn't want to look up yet. Just when I'm rounding the corner...

I feel two big hands constraining me by my shoulders before we had the chance to collide into one another. Halted into place I could feel myself slightly off balance, ready to fall if it weren't for the helping hands.

"Are you okay? You should watch where you're going, darling" Max tilted my chin up carefully.

"I'm fine, I was just looking at your message." I tilt my head away from him, grab his arm and tried to be discreet as we round the perimeter of the building. We searched for any signs of Hannah and Cameron, they should be out by now.

"Max, we should check near my car. That's how I saw them the other day."

"Let's go then." We walked casually behind a yellow car and hid at the side where Hannah and Cameron couldn't see us. Today, they were inside Hannah's car and appeared to be deep in conversation.

We were slightly crouched behind a Smart car trying to peek at them once in a while. This was probably the smallest and worst car to hide behind but moving might get us noticed. Most of the parking spaces near us were being emptied as students left for home.

Max turned to face me.

"Isabelle?"

"Yes, Mr.Roberts?" I tease him as I turn to look at him directly. There was a slight flinch in his face like it had reminded him of an unpleasant memory.

"Is it always like this? The guy..." he sighs "-the guy gets the sweet girl to fall for him and ends up with the one we thought he was over with?" He seemed a little off as he said this, it was like he wanted to say something else.

"Max, this isn't what this is about. Cameron can do whatever he pleases. It's just how he ended things that angered me. He's a great guy, so I don't blame Hannah. Heck! I don't even blame Cameron because Hannah is too pretty for her own good. She was his first time too, they probably still had feelings for each other." I stare at my hands as they play with the hem of my blouse, I didn't want Max to answer this one.

"What-" I cut him off by placing a finger to his lips as I take a peek at the "perfect couple". Hannah had already started the engine. They were approaching us with eyes forward. A single glance and they'd spot Max and I awkwardly crouching behind the bright yellow smart car. We got too distracted to notice.