Chapter 16: Alone

Max's POV

I scooped her up from my sofa and went upstairs, careful not to wake her up.

It felt strange lending her my mom's clothes. Isabelle even smelled like her after using her soap. Seven years have passed since she's been gone. I remember it was the day after my 12th birthday. 

Angie, Cameron, and Hannah were over and we were playing tag. Hannah's and Angela's parents were watching us while my parents picked up some groceries. After we noticed they were gone for a while, Aunt Sarah and Uncle Harry came home with my drunken Dad with distress written all over their faces. 

I had never seen my Dad so drunk before in my life. Aunt Sarah told me that we were sleeping over at their house and didn't tell me right away. Hannah and Angela went home with their parent's and I remember the anxiety of the whole situation on our way to Cam's house. It wan't until the next day that they made the news clear.

I remember Aunt Sarah's words when she was telling me.

"I may have lost a sister and you may have lost a Mother but we have gained an angel that watches over us. Anne will never be forgotten."

It took about a month for my Dad to sober up enough to take me back home. It was evident he hadn't been present in the house since the car crash, everything was covered in a layer of dust. Aunt Sarah was always calling me and checking up on me but I always lied and told her that everything was okay. Dad rarely came home and when he did he used his belt, taking his suppressed anger out on me.  

We never spoke about her unless he was drunk, when he would become angry and throw insults in my face saying I reminded him of losing Anne. 

The only thing that kept me going was Hannah. She often stopped by my house to clean, cook, and help me when I was too depressed to do anything at all. At night I was so alone I comforted myself through alcohol, wanting to numb myself to sleep, not caring if I woke up. When I did, I was glad because it was Hannah there by my side waiting for me to wake up and drive together to school.

It wasn't long before I realized I had fallen in love with her. She was there in ways nobody else was. I never had the guts to tell her how I felt.

On my eighteenth birthday my Dad left me a code on a note. Leaving my mother's inheritance and a very cold 'Good Luck'. Like he ever saw me or checked up on me while he was with a handful of women...

After he left for good, I searched for a job, stayed at my house, and left everything in my mom's room the way it was. Life started to get better, especially with Hannah. My only concern was that college was just around the corner and my job was already getting in the way of seeing her.

The day before I graduated from LHS, everyone was at my house to celebrate. Cam, Hannah and a few other people from my class came. It was the day I planned to confess my feelings to Hannah.

I took her to my room for privacy but before I could get a word out Hannah asked, 

"Cameron asked me to be his girlfriend. Do you think I should say yes?"

My head started spinning, this was the opposite of what I wanted, but what did Hannah want? If being with Cameron made her happy I shouldn't hold her back. I was a drunk mess who would bring her down with me I already burdened her with my chores. Looking down, not wanting to face her as I said it, I responded,

"If that's what you want, you should go for it" I force a smile.

She looked confused at me, maybe my smile didn't seem genuine.

"Cameron's a good guy, I'm sure you'll be happy with him" every word felt like acid on my tongue.

Hannah began to shuffle her fingers together with a few thoughtful glances towards me. Without a word she gets up from the bed and just left me there alone like I should've been from the beginning. It was done.

After I began college this year, Hannah's visits started to lessen. Each time she seemed different, she seemed cold and paranoid. Hannah was changing and she never confided in me like she used to. The visits stopped and it got to the point I thought I was cursed to be forgotten and left alone. 

A few months passed and the rum no longer numbed me. Emotional pain shot through nightly like a fresh wound. I couldn't stand it, it would devour me, all I knew was that I had to talk to Hannah, so I called. She agreed to stop by the next day. 

She came dressed in a yellow sun dress, it reminded me of the old her. It was the same dress she wore to my graduation party.

I couldn't contain the smile when I saw her. I practically ran when I pulled her into a hug. I never wanted to forget how she smelled, the softness of her rich red hair. 

"Ugh, you smell like alchohol!" she said, jerking back from the hug

The hatred in her voice was tangible. I looked at her confused, what could I have done to make her hate me, she's the one who stopped visiting me. 

"Hannah, what's wrong?" I asked of her.

"You're what's wrong with me! You're the reason I can't feel love any more" She was shaking with anger as her eyes started to well up.

"What are you talking about? I haven't done anything?"

"Exactly, you did nothing! When I talked to you about Cameron at your party you supported it. I thought you cared more about me, I thought you felt the same way I did about you!" Tears were running down her cheeks.

"I-I wanted to see you happy, Hannah. I loved you, I LOVE you" I cup her face but she throws my arms away.

"If you loved me you should have fought for me. I have been trying to get over you this whole time, I even slept with Cameron hoping you would stop haunting my mind and my heart"

I felt my legs go weak "Hannah..I-I'll fight for you now, I'm willing to do whatever it takes, please"

"No Max, it's too late. You've burdened me too much. Good Bye!" she rushes off with her final fare-well and my heart leaves with her...

It isn't long before my legs collapse and the tears start running down my face. My hands desperately search the floor for my bottle of rum. Gripping it tightly I bring the bottle to my lips to find that it was empty. 

---

It wasn't even a year before Cameron stopped by my house to tell me he broke up with Hannah for a girl named Isabelle. The name already disgusted me, how could he have eyes for anyone else. How could anyone do this to my Hannah, after changing her completely to just dump her.

I will fight for her. Cameron will know what it is to lose someone to a person you love. Isabelle won't know what to expect and I'll change her just like Hannah did.

I will avenge her.

- - -

I put her on my bed and close the door shut. Isabelle doesn't know what she's in for...