Chapter 23: Perpetual Night

'This is really, none of your business.' I try to let that clear, firmly.

'It certainly is of my business. I'm supposed to take care of you. And honestly, you've been trying to get rid of me since I got here. Tell me, who's the bloke?' He says defiantly.

He has a point. I've been trying, but I feel so confined. So trapped in my own home or better yet, Dylan's metaphorical coop.

'Dyl, not all the time. It's just I feel like you've been doing this on purpose. Keeping me away from my life. My friends. I've been incognito, from everyone. I don't want to feel so trapped! I want to leave this house I want to do something by myself. I'm sorry, I'm sorry but please. Leave me alone now. And don't worry, I won't be sneaking out to see Cameron!' I shut the door of my bedroom through my sobs.

I feel him getting close to my door. And he just whispers, 'You look like a bird clawing at it's cage, and I don't want that. I want the old us. I need to see my little sister again.' He turns away and I hear him switch off the light in the hall.

I walk towards the mirror and see my blotchy face. Always hated it. I stare at my Hello Kitty pijamas, 'Why did I say those things?' Letting a deep and mournful sigh out, I go to my piano. And I play 'Mrs. Darcy' easy to remember the first time I read Pride and Prejudice. And I wish that I could be like Elizabeth, so sure of herself and willing to stand up with affection. I stay like that for who knows how long.

*Ring*

Probably Cameron.

I lean over from my piano stool to reach for the nightstand and Max is displayed on the screen. With a picture of him being mercilessly massaged by Paul. His face says it all, with a smug rememberance of his pain I pick up the phone.

'Hello' I say into the void.

'Hello beautiful' Usual Max. A smile stretches onto my face involuntarily.

'Max, why are you calling? It's late. And I saw you almost 2 hours ago.' I try to let a laugh trying not to let my emotions rise.

'Sweetie, get ready. You're not going to bed like that' He hangs up and somehow, I feel hope.

- - -

I put on a dress and my chealsea boots. Let  my hair down and wavy. No makeup, I'm not feeling like it.

I sit on the bed txt Max I'm ready.

'Little help here, Isabelle?' Max tries to open the window to get in my bedroom, hyperventilating.

I struggle trying to raise the window, but I end up dislodging a bolt. So when the window comes up, Max enters like a bullet to my room.

'Max, Dylan could hear us!' I whisper in default.

'Not all of us can be master window seekers.' Understanding the reference I blush a little.

'I agree' I look at the floor, unsure of what's next. I've never had Max in my room.

'Come on.' We climb off my window, and he leads the way to his car.

Once we're all seat-belted. Max starts the car and I look into the driveway. I'm somehow amazed that Dylan didn't caught me.

He drives and stops at the beach fair. I felt shy tonight because he was being so endearing with me.

We could see the Ferris Wheel from here, quite a lovely view. People were just getting here, late as ever to go to the fair.

'What happened?' He says, feeling restrained.

It was getting weird how serious Max was being. Very little witty comments. It was him, just him.

'What do you mean?' I get stiff.

'Why were you crying when you were on the phone?'

'Nothing I was just feeling emotional. But it's nothing to worry about, really.' I assure him, because what could he do about it really? Nothing. He couldn't bring Cameron to me, they clearly hate each other. But somehow, he was helping me to break the boundaries of my coop life.

I was grateful for that.

'Thank you' I say, simply. Smiling and looking at his eyes. I wish he could see how happy and relieved I was. 'Thank you, thank you, thank you'. With each word I came closer to him, until his arms and hands searched my body in a tender embrace. And I rested my head on his shoulder. Silent tears ran. I knew Max must've been confused but he just kept caressing my back. Soothing me.

He placed a gentle kiss on my cheek and cupped my face in his hands. 'Isabelle...' 'It's really heartbreaking to see you like this.' He was perplexed at the sight of me.

'Dylan has been hijacking every plan of me leaving the house without him. This is my first time out. I just felt so lonely, so trapped.'

I take a scorching sigh.

'Oh Isabelle. I've missed you so bloody much.' He begins kissing my wet cheeks, oh so slowly, each kiss leaving the wet trail of my salty tears. I was so drained, I gave up on my strenght, because it felt good talking to Max again, it felt good having left the house alone, it felt good...the way I knew Max's lips so well. And for a moment Cameron didn't exist and I didn't exist. It was him, it was me. Our perpetual night condemnation had vanished, and tonight was our last night.

Tomorrow, this would all disappear. Tomorrow, Max would continue his wittyness, tomorrow Dylan will sabotage everything. But tonight, I loved Max.