Chapter 12

Of course I forgave Ross instantly, I couldn't act differently. Maybe it was the wrong decision because it might seem like I'm an easy lay. But when I heard his words, I felt my heart melt a little bit.

I want to change and I'm sure I can do it. The only condition is that I have you on my side.

Thinking of the situation, I still can't prevent myself from grinning like a Cheshire cat. Since that day he has actually done a quite good job and changed his behaviour. Apparently, he just needed a certain person and the fact that this person is me of all people makes me smile even brighter.

Since then two weeks have passed and Ross and I have become actual friends. We've already hung out with Charlie who also was surprised by his kindness. And when we've spent time together alone, we mainly learned our text for Cinderella and practised in front of each other.

I can't believe that the day has already come, but today right after lessons it's time for audition. Thanks to my learning partner I'm sure that I might do it and beat Charlotte for the first time in my life. But at the same time I'm extremely nervous. With every look on my watch I have the feeling like I'm about to explode.

As the sound of the bell ends the last lesson, I quickly pack together all my stuff and put the chair on the table. After that I look around just to find out that Ross already is gone - he must have hurried a lot. So I ran out of the room, trying to catch up on him.

However, a voice that clearly belongs to Charlie holds me back. "Alexa, wait a second!" Having turned around, I recognize her in the middle of the floor, shouting. "You can't leave without me wishing you good luck!" Everyone standing around is now watching her, but she doesn't care. "Well, go and get the role! You'll rock it!"

Now that it's no secret anymore that I'm going to audition, I decide to scream back, "Thank you, I love you!"

When I reach the classroom the audition takes place in, there are a lot of pupils strolling back and forth and going through their scripts one last time. The only person that isn't revising her script is Charlotte - she just keeps gazing at the closed door.

"Don't worry, you're much better than her," Ross says after he has positioned hisself next to me and noticed where I was looking at. "If you had auditioned for the main role before, she wouldn't have been the star of every play. She just rattles off what she has to say, but what is missing is emotion. She doesn't seem authentic in her role."

"Okay... How do you know?" I ask in confusion. He's still the new member in our theater club and if I remember correctly, he hasn't gone to any of our stage plays yet. So how is it possible that he can state this about Charlotte?

"Well," the blonde guy starts, "three days ago she asked me if she could speak it out loud in front of me and if I could tell her what she should do better."

The imagination of the two alone in one room makes me jealous. Why did it have to be Ross when she could have picked anyone? For sure she only chose him because I was hanging out with him - and because he's hot of course.

I hope he didn't give her tips as she asked him to. That's why I want to know, "And did you?"

"Obviously not!" Ross gets a little louder, but for the next part he talks really quietly, he almost whispers. "I don't want her to get the role. You should be the one, and you would definitely deserve it."

"You really think so? That's so cute, thank you," I smile at my friend, step closer to him and twine my arms around his chest whereupon he hugs me back. I'm honestly extremely glad that he's by my side and that I don't have to wait until Mr. Wilson calls my name all by myself.

Right after we moved apart from each other, the door opens and our teacher appears. He doesn't even have to say anything, he immediately has everyone's attention. That is the moment the level of my nervousness reaches its highest point.

"Alright, ladies and gentlemen," is the first thing coming out of his mouth. "Good to see you all here. I'm really looking forward to seeing your performances. We'll do it this way: Nobody enters the room without permission. I'll always call out your names. After everyone has auditioned, me and my adviser who's waiting inside will decide on who's the best choice for each role. Questions?"

Since we're all staying quiet, he continues. "Okay, then we'll start with the people auditioning for Cinderella." If I thought that I couldn't get any more nervous, I was wrong. It wouldn't surprise me if I broke down in a panic attack any minute.

Ross tries to calm me down and he's successful. Unfortunately, he can't go with me when the time has come, but I'll make it somehow anyway. I just have to think positive.

It doesn't take too lang and it's happening - I hear my name. I take a deep breath and then make my way into the classroom.

Mr. Wilson and his advisor are sitting at a table in the last row, in front of them a couple sheets of paper and a pencil for each of them to make notes. According to them I should stay in the area next to the desk.

"You can start whenever you feel ready," the teacher says. "No pressure."

After a few seconds a finally begin to talk. While my voice sounds unsteady at first, I become braver and more confident after a while. I actually have a good feeling.

Not having finished yet, Mr. Wilson raises his hand. "Okay, I think that's enough." His words sound hard, but he actually has a smile in his face. However, he might do this in general, just to be nice. I shouldn't expect too much.

"Thank you, Alexa." And that was it.