Chapter Fourteen

"It's a full moon tonight," I noted as I looked out the open window of Aaron's truck. The cool night air rushed over my cheeks and sent goosebumps up my arms. I had gone with him to a bonfire at one of his friends' house that night, and now he was taking me home.

The bonfire had been pretty fun, with a lot of the people from Jamie's pool party. The kids here seemed like a lot of fun... well, most of them anyways.

Aaron smiled, "I know," he said talking about the moon, "I want to show you something, if that's alright," he said with a quick glance.

I frowned at him with curiousity, "Show me what?"

"A place," he said, grinning at his own vagueness.

I rolled my eyes, "Very descriptive."

Aaron chuckled, "So what are you doing for the Fourth of July?"

My heart jumped as I remembered the conversation I'd had with the girls a few days ago. At least I had a solid excuse, "Apparently my grandma has a party every year cause you can see the fireworks from her back porch, so I said I'd help with that."

"Oh yeah," Aaron was saying as he pulled off the side of the road, "She invited my parents. Maybe I'll have to come with them." He winked and put the truck in park.

I was a little uneasy. Was this the part where he tried to put a move on me or something? I was relieved when he just popped open his door and climbed out. He reached back in to grab a blanket from the back, "Come on," he said.

Thoroughly confused, I slowly got out of the truck and followed him into the dark. He walked to the edge of the road where there was a barbwire fence along a timber. In the bright moonlight I saw a metal sign that said "Private Property: Tresspassers will be Fined" Aaron went to a part of the fence where a log had fallen over it, bending it to the ground.

"Umm, this is private property," I said unsurely.

"I go back here all the time," Aaron said confidently, "Never been caught. No cops come out here."

Aaron proceeded to step over the fence. I stayed where I was, "Aaron," I said pointedly.

He turned to grin at me. Despite my unsureness, his smile melted my insides. I fought to join him.

"You know you can't resist," he called, stepping into the timber.

"Aaron!" I wailed as he disappeared into the trees. I glanced up and down the moonlit road. Standing alone on the side of the road at night did not appeal to me. I balled my hands into fists and let out an indignant groan before climbing over the fence. I jogged up the trail quickly, imaginary darkness monsters chasing me. I caught up to Aaron and clutched his arm, feeling a little safer.

"Ahh, there's my girl," he said humorously.

"I'm going to kill you," I said flatly, but didn't let go of his arm. Weren't there wild hogs in Alabama? I shuddered, thinking I would have probably been safer locking myself in the truck. Wait. Had he just called me his girl?

"You'll be fine," He reassured.

I walked along side him for a few more meters until the treeline broke into a clearing. Aaron laid the blanket down on the grass and sat down, patting beside him for me to follow suit. I sat down beside him and he laid back. I glanced down at him before laying down next to him.

Okay. So I was laying next to Aaron. Alone. No big deal. I could handle this.

I had to give it to him, the stars were beautiful out here. The sky was blue-black with a million little specks of light. I could just see the moon coming from behind a tree.

"Pretty cool huh?" Aaron asked quietly.

I nodded, "Yeah."

I felt him shift closer to me and my heart started pounding. He slipped his hand into mine. This was a nice feeling. I wondered briefly if his heart was pounding too. Aaron brushed his thumb across mine and I think my heart stopped altogether.

Seriously Cara, I told myself, He's holding your hand. Chill.

"I gotta ask you something," Aaron said.

Here it comes. I was about to ruin everything.

"Yeah?" I asked innocently.

"What if your grandma happened to tell me your birthday was coming up and I wanted to do something for you?"

Wait. What? He wasn't going to ask me out right now? I had totally misjudged this situation. Maybe I didn't have to worry about letting him down. Was I the one who was let down right now? No. No. Stop Cara you are not let down you didn't want him to ask you out remember?

"Hello?" Aaron asked, nudging my side with his arm.

"Huh?" I said, startled out of my thoughts, "Oh. I mean you don't have to. Really. I'm sure my grandma will go over the top on her own."

Aaron grinned, turning on his side to face me, "Are you going to stop me?"

Turning my face to the side to look at him, I gave him a tiny smile. "I guess not," I whispered.

He blinked once before leaning in to kiss me softly. My eyelashes fluttered in slight surprise. He pulled away slightly to look at me for a response. I couldn't help it; I really wanted him to kiss me again. Aaron knew it too, and this time he seriously kissed me. Oh my. Wow. I just barely remembered how to kiss him back. He brushed his thumb across my cheek and kept kissing me for a few more moments. Right then there was nothing else in the world.

Aaron pulled away to rest his forehead on mine, locking eyes with me, asking me. I knew then any attempt to stay away from him would fail. I was his and he was mine.