Chapter Eleven

I stared at myself in the mirror. I was wearing my newest swimsuit that I had bought at home the last week of school. It was cute and everything, but I still wasn't so sure about a bunch of people I barely knew seeing me in it. I shuddered. It's not like I was super self-concious but I mean seriously, there would be guys there. They would probably rate me, I thought, squinting my eyes closed. Aaron would see me. I blushed as if it was actually happening. Maybe I just wouldn't swim.

I tugged a tshirt over my head and put on a pair of denim shorts. I french-braided my hair back and tried on the sunglasses I had bought the other day. Then I thought better of it and took of the sunglasses. I swiped on some waterproof mascara and put the glasses back on. Blonde eyelashes were not a blessing.

Grandma found me a beach towel and I put on some flip flops and waited for Aaron. Why was my heart pounding? I seriously needed to stop having a crush on him. I was almost mad at myself for kissing him on the cheek last Friday. Thanks to grandma for telling me to give him a chance. I drummed my fingers on the counter and Tilly watched me with a smirk.

Finally the doorbell rang and I flew to the door.

"Come on!" I called to Aaron as I bounded past him, "Let's gooo!"

Aaron chuckled as he jogged after me, "Jeeze, Muscles," he said as he slid into the driver's seat, "The pool won't run out of water."

I laughed, that was true, "Sorry," I said, "I just want to make a good first impression, you know? Do I look okay?"

I caught myself, "Don't answer that," I said quickly.

Aaron just shook his head with a smile. After a few minutes, we arrived at what I presumed was Jamie's house. There were a bunch of cars parked in the long driveway, and several in the grass. I bubble of nervousness grew in my stomach. I didn't realize it, but Aaron had parked and come around to open my door.

"You alright?" he asked with a degree of concern.

"Yeah," I said, jumping out onto the ground.

I followed Aaron around the back of the house and instantly considered hyperventilating or running. There was like a hundred people there! Okay maybe that was an exaggeration but still, the place was packed.

Nobody had really noticed us yet so I took a look around. There we a bunch of guys in the pool tossing a basketball around. I noticed a basketball hoop hanging over the edge that they shot into. One of the boys jumped and dunked it, and his team roared in approval. To the left of the pool a group of girls were sitting at a picnic table talking. A constant stream of people went in and out of the house. Jamie was hurrying out of the house with a two liter bottle of Cherry Coke and she caught my eye.

Jamie grinned, "Hey Cara!" She called waving me over with her free hand.

All eyes were on me as I walked over to the picnic table.

"Hey Jamie," I said quietly as I stepped up to the table. Lilly was there, I noticed quickly, along with her friend. Andrea. My stomach sunk, but surprisingly they both just sent me a glare and didn't say anything. Maybe they just didn't want to make a big scene at the party.

"Everybody, this is Cara," Jamie introdiced me to the group of girls around the picnic table. Some of them sent me freindly smiles, easing my tension.

"She's here for the summer from Iowa," Jamie explained.

One of the girls looked me over casually, "Did I see you come with Aaron?"

I nodded, "Yeah my grandma knows him so he's been showing me around and stuff," I said, trying to play it off.