Chapter Two

The goodbyes had been brief. My mom hadn't really given me much time anyways. I had to go home and pack right after that dinner. I hadn't spoken to either of my parents since then. As we waited in the airport I watched the people walk by. They all looked so happy, going to amazing places, I bet.

The intercom announced that my flight was boarding. This is it, I thought, the official death of my summer.

My mother stood opening her arms for a hug. "I'll miss you sweetie," she said, smiling.

I stood and walked away, rolling my eyes. She wouldn't miss me for a second. I knew it was beyond mean to deny my own mother a hug goodbye, but it was also beyond mean to send your own daughter to live with her grandmother for three months with no friends or anyone else I knew.

I boarded the plane and found my seat. It was a window seat at least. I put in my earbuds and tuned out the rest of the world as I slowly watched Iowa dissappear from sight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The plane landed in Alabama and I found my suitcase. My mom had told me that my gandmother would be waiting for me at the airport, and so far I had seen about fifteen different old ladies that could have played the part. I hadn't even seen her since I was a toddler, I don't know how my mom expected either of us to recognize eachother.

I saw a woman waving a sign around, and to my dismay, Caroline Evans was scrawled across it in bright yelow glitter. She had auburn curly hair and was wearing a crazy printed dress. She was hard to miss. I could walk away now, I thought, and find a flight back home. I looked down at the ground and walked by quickly.

"Caroline Abbigail Evans!" She called.

I stopped dead, this whole using-my-full-name thing was starting to get old. I turned around, not bothering to plaster on a fake smile.

"Oh, I didn't see you there," I mumbled.

Grandma Tilly grinned and walked to me quickly with outstretched arms. She enveloped me in a tight hug; the glitter poster bumped my shoulders.

"Oh aren't you just the cutest thing!" she gushed, "I would remember those big blue eyes anywhere!" she added.

"Um, thanks," I said awkwardly.

"My, you've gotten so tall too, and your hair! My goodness it's gorgeous!"

Well of course I would have gotten taller since the last time she saw me. I was three. I was pretty tall though, and inch taller than my mom at five foot eight.

Grandma was leading, or I could say dragging, me out of the airport now, towards her car.

"You don't eat enough!" she stated.

I frowned, "I eat a lot actually," I said.

Grandma tisked, "You're too skinny, we'll have to change that."

I was actually happy with my weight, unlike most teenage girls. I was skinny, bot not anorexic or anything. I weighed a lot more than people thought though, because I had a lot of muscle. I was blessed with a high metabolism, and my friends often told me I ate like a boy.

We reached Grandma's car, an old Buick. She opend the trunk for me and I threw my stuffed suitcase inside. I came around the side and slipped into the passenger seat.

"You're going to just love it here Caroline, I promise!"

I cringed, "I go by Cara," I stated.

"Ohh!" Grandma exclaimed looking slightly hurt, "Well I guess that must be the new thing huh? Changing your name and what not. Well alright I'll call you Cara I guess then."