Chapter Eight

I slumped into my chair at the table in the kitchen. Grandma was preparing enough breakfast for ten people, let alone two. I wasn't feeling so hungry. Thankfully, her back was turned to me so she couldn't see my slightly puffy eyes. I couldn't believe my best friend had hooked up with my long time crush. It was like everyone up there was acting like I had never existed. This whole trip was becoming pretty awful.

"I think I'm gonna go run before breakfast," I said, sliding out of the chair.

"Alright honey, you've got about fifteen minutes," she replied as she stirred something amazing smelling.

I quickly put on my running shoes, thinking I would have enough time for a fast two mile run to burn off some steam. I ran fast, my legs pumping beneath me. Even though the sun had only been up a little over an hour, it was already hot and humid. I had worked up quite the sweat by the time I reached the town. I stopped just long enough to bring the bottom of my shirt up to wipe my face before continuing back home. I was gassed when I reached the porch, gasping for air. I ripped my soaked t-shirt over my head and staggered into the much needed air conditioning.

"Oh my, darlin'!" Tilly shouted when she saw me, "What happened to your shirt?"

"I-" I gasped. Deciding it was more important to breathe than to explain to Grandma that it was unbareably hot outside.

Grandma tsked as she hurried upstairs and found me a neww shirt to put on.

"I said no funny business," she reminded me.

I rolled my eyes as I pulled on the tshirt.

"Grandma I was running and it was hot. So I took off my shirt. No big deal."

Grandma shook her hand at me as she dished out eggs, bacon, and pancakes.

"Now I know I let Aaron up to your room this morning but that was just because he looked so adorable holding that bear for you. But I'm serious about my rules."

I sighed, "Grandma, he's not even here. And even if he was you have nothing to worry about. I'm not like my mom and I don't like him anyways."

Tilly put a hand to her heart. She looked like I had just shot her.

"Oh honey, why not? He's such a charming young man."

I looked at her desperately. He was. So far, except for maybe the fact that he had a horrible crazy ex-girlfriend, he was perfect.

"I know Grandma," I said, "He is pretty perfect, but I won't always be here. I don't want to start anything, you know?"

Tilly still looked worried as she patted my shoulder, "Just give him a chance darlin'" she said as she sat across from me, "And you're always welcome here if you ever change your mind."

Change my mind? I thought as I took a bit of pancake. I had to go home. Even if that meant only to give Shelby a piece of my mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few good movies later, it was midway through the day and I was lounging on the couch. The thought of going outside wasn't appealing. According to grandma, there was some sort of record set today for the temperature or the humidity level or something. Grandma had gone to the store with a list of groceries as well as a request for ice-cream from me, so I was home alone. I wandered up to my room and found the piece of paper containing Aaron's number on the ground. I picked it up and after a few minutes of mentally convincing, entered the digits into my phone.

What could I say that wasn't too cheesy?

Hey! This is Cara.. How did the show go?

I hit send. That wasn't too bad. I watched my phone for a minute, wating for a reply. I rolled my eyes for being so stupid, he was probably busy. I put it in my back pocket and trotted downstairs to the kitchen. I opened the fridge and pulled out a Coke, laughing to myself at how every kind of soda was called a Coke down here.

I popped the can open and st down on the couch again, preparing to flip through channels once again. I risked a glance at my phone. He answered!

A: Oh it went okay.. first place! :)

I smiled, happy for him. I noticed that he hadn't asked me a question at the end of the text, which forced me to keep the conversation going. How sneaky. Two could play that game.

C: That's good!

I wondered if he would answer. I didn't have to wonder for long though.

A: Yup! So what have you been up to today.. to hot for a run?

C: Yeah, I learned that the hard way. I haven't done much though.. currently home alone /:

A: Home alone huh? Maybe I should stop by :P haha jk

C: Haha! Too bad Grandma Tilly says strictly no 'funny business'

A: Hey! I never said anything about funny business! Get your head out of the gutter :P

I laughed, reealizing my head had been in the gutter.

C: Sorry, it must be because you're "Not too bad looking" isn't that what you said?

A: Hey! I was nervous don't judge me :(

C: It's alright.. I guess it was kind of cute :P

When did I become such a flirtatious queen? I was pretty proud of myself.

A: And you were kind of shirtless ;) so I was a little distracted

C: Oh shut up that never happened okay?

A: I don't think I could forget those abs, Muscles :P

C: Shut up, shut up, shut up!!!

A: Haha okay, okay. So about that movie Friday..

C: Yeah??

A: Did you want to go? Or..

C: I might be able to clear some room on my shcedule...

A: :) I hope so

I couldn't help but grin. He really wanted to see me! I heard grandma's Buick rumbling up the drive and I quickly texted him back.

C: My grandma's home! Ttyl.

I hopped off the couch and jogged outside to help Tilly bring in the groceries. We put them away together and wasted no time in dishing up bowls of chocolate ice-cream. Grandma Tilly was the first person I had met who shared my same affinity for chocolate.

"So Grandma," I said through a mouthfull of chocolatey goodness, "Would it be alright if I went to a movie with Aaron on Friday night?"

Tilly squealed with excitement, enveloping me in a soft grandma hug.

"Of course darlin'!" she said, "I knew you'd come around."

I rolled my eyes. It was like everyone would think I was crazy if I didn't just automatically fall head over heels for this guy.

"But what if he doesn't like me?" I said, voicing my concerns aloud on accident.

"Nonsense, sweetheart," she was saying as she ate a bowl of chocolate ice-cream, "He is just crazy about you already, I bet."

I sighed, wondering if she was right. What if he was just crossing me off his list before I left at the end of summer? Or what if he was just asking me out because he knew Tilly wanted this to happen? I didn't know..