47-Mothers!

Yesterday before my friends left they showed me the pictures that went viral. Relief washed over me when I noticed it was just pictures of us hugging. Whoever took the shot met us at a safe moment.

I dreaded my phone and TV yesterday, thankfully due to how exhausted I was yesterday I slept right after spending time with Chris, Eiko and Levi. They lifted my spirit so much.

Levi avoided talking about Stacy just so not to stir up any hurt in me. Suddenly I took note of Chris's ringtone when he got a call. There's nothing holding me back by Shawn Mendes. The lyrics made my heart crack. Also Eiko has a bunch of couple pictures on her phone. She was trying to show me great dresses to get but those pictures were everywhere. So she just stopped and said we'll go shopping and see them physically.
The world seems to throw romance banners at your feet when you're suffering from heartbreak. Rude.

Anyway today I'm watching the news, and sure as hell, the pictures of Alex and I stare at me with a blonde newscaster yapping away.

"It's still a shocker to us to find pictures of Mr Hunter and Miss Keila Manchester, who was recently harassed by Derrick Luther and who is a financial manager in a company in collaboration with Mr Hunter, getting cozy in front of Club Night. We have lots of questions but Mr Hunter has made no move to come out on the matter. Including Keila Manchester".

I grith my teeth as I watch her yapping with a practiced smile plastered on her face.

June's picture flashes on the screen, grabbing my attention.

"News received just this morning is that Miss June Sinclair has been in a relationship with Alex Hunter for months now and had returned quickly after seeing pictures of Mr Hunter with another woman. She expressed herself in a little road interview when she was stepping out of her apartment this morning".

My eyes widen when the next thing pulls up. It's June looking sweet but shaken and practically composed as questions are shot at her.

"June. You have been in a relationship with Mr Alex, why has this been kept from everyone?". A reporter asks.

June sighs and pulls off her glasses.

Her eyes looks duller than I last saw it.

"We had our reasons, it's no one's business". She retorts.

"How are you reacting to the news of Mr Hunter with another woman?" Another reporter asks.

She clenches her jaw "it was unpleasant and highly upsetting but it's in the past now. She's out and Alex and I are moving on".

I stare daggers at her and switch the TV off with the remote.

Alex and I are moving on.

Her words shakes out any little hope I have left. He has moved on, he didn't need me, he never really cared about me.

I sink into the sofa. He never called yesterday or this morning, no texts too. How could he do this. At least, I deserve him reaching out to me. Don't I?

The loud knock on my door pulls my attention and I quickly stand to answer the door. Maybe it's Alex!
When I open it, I see a frowning Mum and a confused looking Donald. I'm a little disappointed.

"Mum?" I whisper as she walks in past me. Donald walks in and spares me a peck before sauntering inside.

I close the door and look bafflingly at her. I know she knows that I'm on the news and all that. I just didn't think she'd come here.

"I told you" she spits out shooting daggers at me.

I know what she's talking about already. Donald just sinks into a sofa and stays mute.

"So what?" I scowl at her.

"Can you see how you've demoralized yourself?" She asks angrily "you're everywhere as a gold digger!".

I suck in a breath and try to focus on the fact that she's being a mother and getting upset that her daughter didn't heed to her advice but it scrapes irritatingly in me.

"Mum" I start calmly "I get it, but will you please calm down?".

"Don't even tell me things like that. You've gone and shamed yourself and you want me to be calm?" She sharply replies.

I squint furiously at her, right now is not the best time to yell at me. Anytime but now.

I fist my hands beside me "I have not shamed myself, it was a business arrangement" I say seething.

"You should listen to how stupid you sound Keila". She yells.

That did it.

"If you're here to insult me and say horrible things and yell at me, then I don't need you!" I snap yelling back.

"The truth is bitter isn't it?". She eyes me.

"Yes" I say behind gritted teeth "but having an irrational mother is worse than bitter".

We stare furiously and then she shakes her head in disappointment "I am so upset with you and really disappointed" she glances at Donald "talk to your friend" she walks past me and let's herself out.

I suck in another breath and let it out shakily. That went awfully. I shouldn't have said that. I just wish she wasn't yelling and insulting me.

"Wanna sit down?" Donald says and taps the space beside him.

I oblige and take up the space, he takes my hand in his "Feeling better?".

I merely shrug "I don't know".

"She's just doing what she can Keila" he states.

I feel myself boiling in rage "Why does she have to insult me or yell at me. I made a mistake. So?".

"But she warned you" he says matter of factly.

I frown "Did you come here to lecture me?".

He frowns too "So I shouldn't do the right thing? Do you want me to sugar-coat things for you?".

"Just don't say them now" I say sighing.

He pulls me in to rest against him "It's not a great feeling to see you hurt, Keila. That's something we all share in common. Your mum, me, Levi, Eiko, Chris, Vanellope". He slowly runs his hand up and down my arm "it's unsettling to see you like this, so don't blame us when we act the way we do. Even if it's wrong to you". He kisses the top of my head "it might not be wrong to the other person. It's just their way of showing it".

I melt against him and wrap my arms around his waist. He's my aspirin to a throbbing headache.

I know mum means well. I just want her to know when it's the right time to react the way she does.

"Hey" he starts "How are you? I'm sorry I couldn't be here yesterday. I hate myself for that".

I pull away from him enough to look at him with my brows knotting in confusion "It's okay" I whisper "you're here now and it means a lot to me" I stare deeply in his eyes.

A flash of hurt crosses his eyes "Keila I don't like the way things happened to you" he tucks a hair behind my ear and I can't help but remember Alex doing that. In fact cuddling him also reminds me of Alex.

I swallow the lump in my throat and push the thought of Alex out of my mind. "I know but remember what we talked about".

He smiles understanding me "it's my turn to heal you isn't it?".

                                          &

Can I get a bestie like this. 🤧
Let's keep moving.
Next chapter is a wow.