28

"Do we really need to meet here? I don't like it here." 

I kept on looking around, getting conscious of my surroundings. I was meeting with Raylee in Ramirez Medical because she said she wanted to give me a gift for Christmas. It was already January, and here she was, still talking about Christmas?! Malapit na nga ang fifth birthday ni Avrielle! 

"Why are we even meeting here?" I asked her again. We were in a small cafe so early in the morning. I told her this was my only available time, so she asked me to come here. 

"I told you. My niece is currently confined here, and ako ang inutusan nilang magbantay since her parents are still out of the country. Why? Are you scared of seeing your ex, hmm?" The side of her lips rose, smirking. She even tried to hide it by sipping on her coffee. 

"No, I'm just-" 

"Oh my gosh, Samantha Vera? P-pwede pong magpa-picture?" I was cut off by a lady younger than me. My lips immediately formed a smile when I looked at her and nodded. She looked so excited when I stood up beside her to take a photo. She was trembling, too. "Ang ganda n'yo po sa personal!" 

"Oh, thank you!" My smile widened when she waved before running away. I went back to my seat and wore my purple cap. I didn't want to be recognized by other people, too. I was getting eyed by the media because of my issues about having a child, but since Hero had already come back, I knew the rumors would finally die down. It was because Avrielle would be moving in with his dad.

I felt like Avi was being taken away from me, but we weren't even blood-related, to begin with, and it wasn't like I couldn't hang out with her anymore. Maybe after some time... It made me think, though. Ngayong wala na 'kong iko-consider na iba, could I move to New York already? 

I would be left alone after Avrielle's birthday. I wouldn't be taking care of the child anymore. If ever na mag-overlap ang schedule ng dalawa, naroon ang Mommy ni Hiro to take care of the child. Besides, they lost a lot of time with her. It was just right to bond. Family bonding. I wasn't her... family to begin with. 

Ugh, I was starting to sound so single. I wanted a family, too, but I was too busy to have one.

"Are you listening to me? Samantha Vera, hello? I said, here's your gift!" I was suddenly back to reality when Raylee flicked her finger on my forehead. Right, I was starting to overthink things again. 

 "Sorry!" Kinuha ko ang paper bag na inabot niya sa 'kin. It was a white designer bag. My eyes twinkled as I hugged the bag. It looked so pretty! "Thank you for this!" 

"You can afford one. Why are you so happy?" She laughed and sipped on her cup again. The smile faded on my face when she almost choked because she saw something. I knew because her eyes widened, and they looked fixed on something... or someone. 

"Why?" I asked, but she didn't answer, so I looked back to see for myself. Good thing I wasn't chewing something, or I would choke on it, too. "Ah, damn. I told you I don't want to meet here," I whispered.