chapter eight | boys night out

"I took some time out to think while I was away." Naruto started. He looked at Hinata. She was trembling and trying her best to hold back her tears. Naruto took her appearance in. She was so beautiful. Too beautiful for someone like him. She deserved someone who has eyes for only her.

"I love you Hinata. I know it's hard for you to believe that, but I truly do love you. I want to make us work, but in order to do that I have to mature and let go of any feelings that are holding me back. Right now, I can't do that. I need time to give up on Sakura. She's been my life for so long. I'm not ready to change yet. " Naruto admitted. He felt horrible. He never thought he'd be stuck between two girls. He didn't want to hurt anyone.

"You've been my life for as long as I can remember." Hinata said shakily. She knew what was coming. She knew but she still took a stab at Naruto's feelings, hoping he'd reconsider.

Naruto went to hug his girlfriend. She didn't back away but she didn't hug back either. She was too upset, too broken.

"I'm sorry. I feel like it's wrong to be in a relationship while liking someone else. I want what's best for you. I want to be the best for you. I'd tell you to wait for me, but that's not fair to you. If you find anyone you feel like you'll be happy with, anyone better than me, please go for it. I'm-" Naruto was about to say the dreaded words. Hinata hugged him back, pulling him close. Her grip was tight as she sobbed loudly into his chest. He rocked her back and forth and patted her head to try to keep her calm.

When her crying seized, Naruto looked down at her to make sure she was okay. Her tear stained face no longer held anguish. She was ready to accept whatever Naruto was about to say. He lightly kissed her forehead and let go of her. Going back to his spot on the couch he breathed in deeply.

"I'm breaking up with you."

————————

"Come on Naruto, let's go out for barbecue!" Choji shouted, banging on the door of the blondes apartment.

"Go away. I'm not in the mood to go out." Naruto replied, sinking deeper into his bed sheets.

Suddenly two hands grabbed his sheets, ripping them off his bed. Naruto was left exposed and annoyed. He looked to see who had disrupted his solitude. It was Shikamaru and Kiba.

"Get out of bed it's been three days." Shikamaru yawned.

"We're going out and you're coming with us." Kiba told the blonde. "And please do something about this mess" he said gesturing to Naruto's apartment "while you're getting ready." The two boys walked out Naruto's room and waited for him outside his complex.

Naruto reluctantly got out of bed and cleaned himself up. After he finished getting ready he went downstairs and stood gaping at the sight in front of him. All his friends were waiting for him.

Not just Shikamaru, Kiba, and Choji but Neji, Lee, Shino, and Sasuke too.

"Nice to see you out and about." Shino commented slyly. He gave Naruto a small pat on the shoulder and walked in the direction of the barbecue place. Everyone followed.

It was a quiet walk. No one knowing exactly what to say. They knew he'd been in a tough spot lately but they didn't know how to comfort him. The only other time Naruto had acted like this was when Jiraiya passed.