chapter twenty nine | content

Hey, it's been a while! I've been thinking about this story a lot lately and decided to do a little update. I love this story so much, but as my writing style has slightly changed, I don't want to drag the story out too much in a different voice. I like the way it was written when I first started, so this will most likely be the last chapters.
——————————————————————————
"Sasuke calm down!" Naruto shouted from the village gates.

"Shut up Naruto!" Sasuke yelled back, heading towards the center of town. Naruto rolled his eyes at his friends curt reply and hurriedly followed behind him.

The two had just returned from their mission, barely within the village walls, when they heard some unpleasant news.

All the other groups had returned except for Shikamaru's.

He stormed the hokage tower, mumbling to himself the whole way there. Naruto closely followed behind him, scared that if he said something the Uchiha would snap on him.

Sasuke opened the door with a force so strong the hinges almost came off.

"Well that didn't take long." Kakashi said, smiling apprehensively behind his mask. Everyone that was back had taken a corner of the office, just waiting for Sasuke's return and inevitable outburst. The sand was the closest village after all, they should've been back.

"Have you heard any word?" Sasuke asked while looking around the room. All the faces of his former classmates only irked his nerves even more. They all tried to avoid eye contact with him as he grilled them silently for some type of information.

"The kazekage said he sent them on their way a few days ago. They're only a couple hours late." Kakashi sighed.

"They're half a day late." Sasuke argued.

Kakashi was about to protest but was hushed by the office door lightly coming ajar.

"Lord sixth, we're back." It was Shikamaru, yawning and covering his mouth, with Hinata trailing behind him.

"Sorry we're a little late, there was a caravan filled with elderly on the way back to the sand village. They seemed to need help so we gave them an escort." Hinata explained.

"No problem, you two. Sasuke and Naruto just arrived as well. You're just in time for the mission report." Kakashi said, trying to quickly glaze over what could've been a bad display of Sasuke's hysterics.
———————————————

"You don't have to worry so much about me." Hinata sighed. "Naruto told us how you went on a rampage after you heard I was late." Honestly, she found it amusing. Sasuke isn't the most outspoken person. Running through the village and pressing the hokage about anything non Uchiha related was unlike him. It made Hinata feel like he really cared.

"I couldn't help it. I know you can take care of yourself, but hearing that you were gone.." Sasuke breathed out. "I just wanted to play it safe, okay?"

"Geez, between you and Shikamaru I don't know who worries more. He tried to rush me straight here after we finished the mission. It took a lot of convincing to get him to let me help the elderly." Hinata chuckled.

"You should've left them." Sasuke smirked.

"Hey! We do not talk about our ancestors like that. It's bad luck." Hinata reprimanded, hitting him lightly on the chest.

After the hokage let everyone go, Sasuke basically dragged Hinata to his compound, claiming he needed his alone time with her.

He missed her the few days they were apart. It had been so long since he felt like that. He trained himself when he was young not to miss anyone. All the "next times" from Itachi helped with that. No matter what pull he had towards his team or his brother, he didn't let it sway him. But with Hinata, it was different.

Sasuke had to admit, he was falling fast and very very hard.

It's common knowledge that the Uchihas are known for their undying love. And he knew he was no exception, because when the words love first popped into his mind, he had no doubt that was what he was feeling.

He only felt bad that Hinata had been his first, and she'd have to bare the brute of being wholeheartedly loved by Sasuke Uchiha. It wasn't like being loved like a brother or a friend. He loved her as a woman.

———————————————

"Sasuke, what are you thinking about?" Hinata asked as she laid beside him. His eyes were closed, and he was laying on his back. She faced toward him, head propped on her arm to get a good view of his face.

"Nothing." It was silent for a few moments. "We should do something tomorrow."

Hinata sat up. Sasuke loved his house. He never wanted to go out. "Are you sure?"

"Don't ask, I might change my mind." He peeked one eye open and looked at her, waiting for an answer. "Well?"

"I'd be happy to." Hinata smiled wide. She laid on her back as well, shoulder to shoulder with Sasuke.

"Alright. I'm kidnapping myself a Hyuuga." His voice was a few octaves higher. His excitement couldn't be as easily masked as he wanted it to be. Not that he'd be able to hide anything from the girl beside him anyway, with or without a byakugan.

"I'd say I've been your captive for a while now." Hinata giggled.

Sasuke sat up, leaning over Hinata. "True." He got close enough that his breath tickled her eyelashes, and her bangs lifted every time he exhaled. He let his lips brush over hers, too lightly to call a kiss, but just a centimeter away from one. 

Hinata waited. She wanted to move, to meet Sasuke half way, but she also wanted him to do as he pleased. He slowly closed the gap, kissing her fully and gently.

Hinata was glad she stormed out of that cafe that day. All she ever wanted was for her feelings to be reciprocated. Her entire life, she always felt like she had to prove herself to receive love. She tried so hard to be liked.

She never tried with Sasuke though. She didn't have to. He was the first person who didn't expect a single thing from her. He appreciated all aspects of her, the ones she worked to improve, and the ones she never got to show anyone else in fear of rejection.

"Okay then." She started, once he returned to his side of the bed. "It's a date."

"That's my line." Sasuke said, picking up the pillow underneath his head and hitting her with it.