chapter twenty five | making amends?

Sakura sighed. "Why do you two always have to fight?" She asked, voice sounding particularly exhausted.

"He just irritates me is all." Naruto said, sounding equally as exhausted. "I'm gonna go talk to Shikamaru." He added, getting up and heading in the direction of Shikamaru and Choji's table.

Sakura's shoulders slumped. She didn't know if it was appropriate to go converse with the rest of the girls, so she kind of just, stayed where she was.

Hinata watched her, and Ino kept looking back and forth between her and the pink haired girl.

"Go." Hinata urged her blonde friend. "I don't mind in the slightest." She added.

Ino hugged Hinata and did as she was told. Kiba noticed her and tagged along to talk to Sakura as well.

"You're way too nice." Sasuke said shaking his head. "If she ruined my relationship, I wouldn't forgive her so easily." Sasuke said.

"You knew?" Hinata asked, looking up at him. Sasuke silently nodded his head. Hinata sighed. "She didn't really ruin it, more like she exploited our weak points. It was bound to happen anyways." She explained.

"Whatever." Sasuke said. "I should honestly thank her. Without her meddling, I would've never gotten with you." He chuckled.

Hinata playfully hit his arm, but in the end still nodded in agreement, also very grateful for her current relationship.

Temari, Gaara, and Kankuro were standing not too far away and when they saw the two had stopped talking about something that was seemingly important, they joined them.

"Hi-na-ta." Kankuro said teasingly. Hinata smiled and hugged her friend. Then she went up to Gaara and hugged him also.

"My sister told me you're with Sasuke now. Is he treating you well?" Gaara asked seriously. Hinata would've told him herself a long time ago if she could. However, Gaara lived far and it was hard to relay information.

"Yes Gaara, there's nothing for you to worry about." Hinata assured her friend. Gaara raised a brow to which Hinata noticed, and in response she help up a pinky finger.

"I promise, and if he ever hurts me i'll make sure you're the first person to know, even if I have to  personally travel all the way to the sand to tell you." Hinata said giggling. Gaara linked pinky's with her and ruffled her until she pouted in protest.

Sasuke cleared his throat and Hinata inched a little closer to him. Hinata picked up early that Sasuke was a bit territorial. Honestly it made sense, considering all he'd been through.

A little bit away from the group sat Shikamaru, Choji, and Naruto. Shino was walking towards their table, needing someone to bother now that Kiba was gone.

"Isn't it too early for her to be dating? I mean, she's liked me for years right?" Naruto asked in a strained voice.

Shikamaru sighed and decided that maybe he just tell it to his friend how it is. "Naruto, you broke up with her because you were in love with someone else. Now she's finally found someone after being infatuated with you for all these years, and you're upset. I know she ended up dating your best friend, but if you really loved her you'd realize that your half assed feelings were only weighing her down. She seems livelier with Sasuke and he actually talks now. You should honestly be happy for the both of them, it's not about you anymore. You lost that privilege when you broke her heart." He said sternly.

Shikamaru wasn't mad or anything. He just wanted everyone to get along, and he knew in order to do that, Naruto would have to let go of his lingering feelings. It would be different if Hinata still felt something for Naruto, but it's quite clear she's left him in the past.

Naruto buried his face in his hands. He knew Shikamaru was right, and that he should just let it go and congratulate them, but it was hard. He constantly drilled into his head that he couldn't be with her, and that it wasn't healthy for either of them. He knew giving up on her was the best option. However, he still felt as if Hinata was his first and it wasn't fair that Sasuke could just swoop in and take her. Sometimes, he regrets ever falling in love with Hinata. Sometimes, he regrets ever falling in love with Sakura. His mind is constantly plagued with what could have been. He tries desperately not to make any mistakes but it never turns out how he wants and he just ends up hurting people in the end.

"We can't have it all Naruto, but you can make the best with what you do have." Choji said while rubbing his friends back.

"Yeah, even with your bratty and selfish behavior, Hinata still wants to be friends with you. Be grateful for that at least." Shino said shrugging. Shikamaru raised a brow at him, and then turned to Naruto again.

"You live and you learn man, let's just hope you don't mess up things with Sakura." Shikamaru said blandly.

Naruto sat up and took a deep breath. Shikamaru had a point, he couldn't afford to lose Sakura over this too. The whole reason he'd broken up with Hinata was for Sakura, so if he messed up and lost them both there would be no point.

"Thank you guys." He said, smiling at his friends. He got up and stretched.

"Where are you going now?" Choji asked.

"I'm taking Shino's advice. I'm going to make everything right, and to do that I should start by making up with Hinata." Naruto said cheerfully. He left the table in a hurry and Shino turned to the two boys beside him.

"When did I say all that?" He asked incredulously. Shikamaru and Choji looked at him blankly and shrugged. They watched as Naruto approached the group of sand ninja, Hinata, and Sasuke.

"You think this is gonna end well?" Choji asked the two.

"It'll probably be okay. Gaara's there so at least Hinata won't be caught in the cross fire." Shikamaru answered.

"Shikamaru, I think your girlfriend is signaling to you." Shino informed the said man, amusement laced in his voice.

"Don't make eye contact idiot." Shikamaru said in a hushed tone.

"I think she's about to come over." Choji said. Shikamaru got up abruptly and stalked towards Temari. He knew that she'd cause a scene if she had to force him to get up.

"Were you ignoring me?" Temari asked when Shikamaru got close enough to hear her.

"Yeah, interfering in others quarrels is such a drag." Shikamaru said honestly. Temari humphed and dragged him over to where she'd been standing before.

The group had formed a little circle. Gaara, Hinata and Sasuke were on one side, and Shikamaru, Naruto, and Kankuro were on another. Temari was kind of situated in the middle.

"What do you want, Naruto?" Sasuke asked through gritted teeth.

"Nothing from you, Sasuke. I came to talk to Hinata." Naruto replied. "And I'd appreciate it if we could do so, alone." He added.

Sasuke was about to say something when Hinata cut him off.

"Sure." Hinata said. The group looked concerned, and Sasuke was on the verge of protesting, but Hinata took his hand and squeezed it for reassurance.

"Thank you." Naruto said. He led Hinata away from the others and into a secluded corner.