chapter five | naruto's decision

thank you for reading! hope you enjoy!

———————————————————

"Naruto, speed up. We only have a little left to go." Sakura called out to the blonde trailing behind her.

"We've been going non stop for the past two days Sakura. Let's take a break." Naruto demanded more so than suggested. He didn't wait for Sakura's response. He jumped down from branch to branch, directing all his chakra to his feet.

"Whats up with you? You're the one who said you wanted to get this mission over with as fast as possible to get home to your 'precious Hinata'." Sakura said matter of factly. She sounded a little bitter, especially for someone who had no interest in the Uzumaki.

"I need some time to think thats all." Naruto said, bringing his knees to his chest and burying his head in between them.

'I like Hinata, I know I do.' He thought to himself. Sakura marked the trees around them. This would be the rendezvous point in case they got separated. Then she started a fire.

'But Sakura.. when I'm with her I feel butterflies. When I'm thinking my mind drifts off to her, and when I'm sleeping I dream of her. I'm nervous even now.' He confessed.

'Hinata is sweet and kind. She's well mannered, patient, and forgiving. She's not at all like Sakura and yet I still love all her qualities. I can't make up my mind. I don't want to lose Hinata but I don't want to give up on my feelings for Sakura. I love them both.' Naruto covered his face with his hands, trying to come up with a solution.

'If I don't want to hurt her I shouldn't keep stringing her along like this. I've already told her once that I didn't like Sakura. At the time, I really believed I had gotten over her. Maybe I was just trying to convince myself of that, for Hinata's sake. Naruto sighed.

'I'll break it off with Hinata, at least until I feel I can truly make her happy.'  Naruto decided.

He got up and walked further into the forest, ignoring Sakura's calls to come back. He walked until he reached a clearing. He sat down and looked up at the moon. It shone brightly, nearly full, illuminating the nature around him.

'Reminds me of Hinata.' He thought sadly. He clutched the grass beneath him, trying his best not to cry. He was shaking, hugging himself as he let the hot tears run down face.

'I really never intended to hurt you.'

——————

"Have fun on your date!" Hinata said waving to Temari as she was about to exit Ino's apartment. Shikamaru was waiting for her downstairs.

"Use protection!" Tenten added jokingly as she also waved the blonde goodbye. Ino shoved her playfully and closed the door behind Temari as she left.

"Now, lets have some fun." Ino said with a glint in her eyes.

"I'll get the marshmallows." Hinata said, rifling through Ino's snack cabinet.

"I'll pick the movie." Tenten said, switching on the tv and looking through Ino's dvd collection.

"I'll get the nail polish." Ino said sprinting to her room.

——————

"Neji and you are moving in together soon right?" Ino asked while breaking off a piece of her s'more and popping it in her mouth.

"Yeah, at the end of this month. I'm expecting you all to come to the housewarming." Tenten replied.

Hinata rolled her eyes. "You know you're going to force us into doing all the physical labor leading up to your moving day. It should be a thank you party instead." She said.

"It's not fun if you anticipate it now is it?" Tenten said pouting. The girls laughed. She want back to doing her nails.

It was around 1 am when Temari got back from her date with Shikamaru. Hinata, Ino, and Tenten had already ran through three movies.

"I can't believe you had s'mores without me." Temari said, leaving her bag on Ino's counter and flopping down on the couch.

Hinata held one out for her. "We saved some for you." She said. Temari happily took the sugary treat and ate it all in a few bites.

"How was it?" Tenten asked, turning down the tv to hear Temari more clearly.

"Perfect." Temari said, taking another s'more from Hinata. "We went out to eat at this really nice place. It was quiet and secluded. Just the type of place he'd pick. Then we went for a stroll around the village. On the way back we got ice cream and ate it by the pond in the park." Temari explained. It was intimate and less pressuring. There was many times the two just walked in comfortable silence, not at all panicked to come with a conversation topic.

"You guys are too cute!" Ino squealed. Shikamaru was her best friend for as long as she could remember. She was so happy that he was taking the initiative and doing something he deserved. It always felt like he was putting his feelings on the back burner for others.

Temari was the perfect match for Shikamaru. She was constantly taking him out of his comfort zone and pushing him to do things he'd usually brush off.

"So Ino, when are you gonna get a boyfriend, huh?" Tenten said nudging her.

"When someone shows interest." Ino said matter of factly. The others rolled their eyes. "What? What did I say?" She asked offended.

"Don't give me that Ino. You're like, one of the most popular girls in the village." Tenten said shaking her head.

"I can't argue with you there." Ino said giggling. "But that's only because of my looks. None of those boys know the real me. It's frustrating honestly, they only see a pretty face." She continued. "I want someone who's going to accept me, flaws and all."

Hinata embraced her friend. "Don't worry Ino. If all else fails, you can just marry me instead." She said, a small smile playing on her lips.

"Thanks but no thanks. I don't think I can handle the pressure of being a clan heads wife." Ino said, pulling away from Hinata and patting her on the head.

"Fine, I'll just take my clan and it's benefits elsewhere." Hinata said with a pout.

The four laughed and decided to call it a night.