chapter one | coffee shop

First off, hello everyone! It's been so, so long since the last time I've published anything on this account. That being said now that I'm back I want to change the way some things used work in the past. Before, I was younger and my writing skills weren't the best. Ive had this idea for a while now and I'm going to try to execute it to the best of my  abilities. I'm very very sorry for leaving the other fics incomplete but I didn't have the motivation to go back and continue from where I left off. After getting this chapter out I may or may not revise and resume the other books but no promises. I also can't say how often I'll be updating this book.

Without further ado, happy reading! I missed you all so much!
——————————————————

It was the weekend. Naruto and Hinata had agreed to meet up at noon in front of the usual coffee shop. It was a beautiful day, optimal weather for a date, and Naruto was late again.

Hinata huffed. She was tired of waiting outside and decided she'd just enter the coffee shop alone. She found a window seat and put her bag in the chair opposite her as a way to reserve it.

She didn't order. She wanted to wait for her boyfriend to arrive first.

20 minutes later (45 minutes after the appointed time) Naruto burst through the doors of the relatively quiet cafe. He got a few side eyes from the customers to whom he bowed apologetically to and scanned the room for Hinata.

He really hoped she hadn't left him.

After looking around for a few seconds he caught a glimpse of dark hair and pale skin. He let out a sigh of relief and headed towards the corner of the cafe where Hinata had been sitting.

He removed the bag he assumed she put there as a way to save his seat and gently placed it on the table in front of him.

"I am so sorry. I got called in to see the hokage about an upcoming mission and I lost track of time. Forgive me?" Naruto explained. It took Hinata a while to finally make eye contact with Naruto and when she did, she was met with bright, pleading eyes.

She never could stay mad at the blonde, no matter how many times he'd shown up late or just forgotten their plans.

"So what's this mission about?" Hinata asked. Naruto smiled, taking the question as a form as forgiveness.

"There's something weird going on with one of the outpost stationed between The Leaf and Hidden in the Sand. Sakura and I have to visit to see what's going on over there." Naruto said. When he mentioned Sakura he said her name fast, too fast, almost as if he didn't want Hinata to hear.

Hinata felt her chest tighten a little. Despite Naruto's constant reassurance that he no longer had feelings for his bubbly teammate, it was very hard to believe.

In the beginning of their relationship, Naruto had been honest and confessed to Hinata that he had not been fully over Sakura. Hinata accepted that and still decided to go out with him. After a few months of dating had passed Naruto informed Hinata that he no longer harbored any feelings for the medical nin and she had nothing to worry about.

She really wanted to believe Naruto. She wanted to put all the trust she could muster in him, but something didn't feel right. She didn't like that they were going to be alone on a mission for who knew how long. She didn't like it.

"Do you have to go?" Hinata asked. She already knew the answer.

"Of course I do, it was a specially assigned mission from the higher ups." Naruto answered with a frown. He knew Hinata had her doubts but he really wanted for her to put her faith in him this one time. He wasn't going to do anything with-

"Sakura?" He blurted out unconsciously. He had had the misfortune of directing his attention out the window at the exact time his two teammates passed by linking arms.

Hinata was confused. Her eyebrows crinkled as she traced Naruto's line of sight to see what he was so shocked about.

Across the street was an unusual pair to say the least. Sakura was clinging tightly unto Sasuke's arm, so tight in fact that you could see his pale, light skin start to turn a shade of purple. Sasuke wore a look of complete discomfort. You could tell he was biting back what he wanted to say to the girl beside him as she rambled on about whatever she was talking about.

"What are they doing together?" Naruto asked. He was turning a light shade of red as he clenched and unclenched the fist he had rested on the table.

"Does it matter?" Hinata asked, slightly pissed herself. This was one of the reasons Hinata had her doubts about Naruto's true feelings. Whenever Sakura was bombarded by attention that wasn't his own he went into a jealous fit. Granted it hadn't happened in a while, at least from what Hinata could deduct, and she was appreciative for that. However, now it seemed he was relapsing, and in the worst way possible.

'Did it have to be Sasuke?' Hinata thought to herself. She knew how highly Naruto regarded Sasuke as a rival and vice versa. Seeing Sasuke and Sakura together would completely destroy Naruto's ego and rationality.

"Hinata, you're looking too much into it. It was just a question." Naruto said, trying to assure his anxious girlfriend.

"Oh really? I'm looking too much into it? You should see yourself right now. You're practically seething. I'm just supposed to ignore that? That she, a girl you're in no committed relationship with, can illicit an emotion I've never been able to pull out of you? Do you know how many guys have approached me and you've just waved off without any concern because you're so sure I wouldn't dump you for someone else? You're ready to pounce at Sasuke for standing next to her when he clearly wants nothing to do with her and you're telling me I'm looking too much into it?" Hinata took a deep breath, needing to relax after voicing all her opinions at once.

Naruto sat there dumbfounded. He'd never expected anything like this to come out of his girlfriend's mouth. This is the girl who accepted him knowing full well he was in love with someone else. The girl that's been infatuated with him for years. His naive, sweet, and far too kind Hinata.

He knew he messed up, big time. He didn't at all intend to offend Hinata by his sudden change in mood but he had. It was very understandable as to why too. He would feel the same way in her position.

Naruto sunk his head, a wave of guilt hitting him. He couldn't help the way his body reacted when he saw someone else with Sakura, but had he really taken Hinata for granted like she implied?

"Hinata I'm-" Naruto started but was cut off by Hinata's sudden move to leave.

She got up, grabbed her bag, and headed for the door. She sighed before turning back and looking at her shocked boyfriend.

"I'll see you after your mission Naruto. Please try to sort out your feelings by then." Hinata said. She then walked out of the door to the coffee shop and decided that on her way home she'd get something sweet. She didn't get a chance to order anything on her 3 minute date.

Naruto looked out the window again, in the direction he'd last seen Sasuke and Sakura. They were sitting on a bench not too far from where they were before. Sakura was trying to get as close as humanly possible with Sasuke as he continued to evade her advances. It was a funny sight really.

Naruto chuckled.

His shoulders sunk as he realized he did indeed take Hinata Hyuuga for granted.