Chapter 7- Aenigma

Aenigma

Latin

Riddle
-

whilst gold is tested by the
Lydian stone,
man's virtue
and
wisdom
are tested by
truth
-

"You love her."

"What!?" Edmund practically shrieked, spinning to face his sisters. The day they'd speak sense, he'd wear a corset. "Don't be absurd, Lu, we just talked civilly- once."

"Then she loves you."

"She loves me as much as Susan loves being called beautiful."

"I hate being called beautiful." Susan intervened sharply, throwing blankets- stored in a cupboard- over the sleeping Peter (he had taken over watch the previous night) and Sanya (who was just tired and sleepy).

"My point exactly." Her younger brother rolled his eyes, staring at the crackling fire. It was warm weather and the little cottage felt stifling, but they needed light.

"Well, love or not- whatever your feelings are towards each other, you have to tell her."

Instantly on high alert, the Just narrowed his eyes and asked warily, "Tell her what? That talking with me will give her chicken pox? What else can you come up with, Lu?"

Lucy flushed ashamedly but Susan took over, "Tell her about- about Spare Oom- and War Drobe- you and Jadis and the Turkish Delight- the Stone Table, Aslan, you breaking the wand- everything."

"You want me to confess to my wife I'm a traitor who sold his family for candy." He said dumbfoundedly, his brain again playing 'you're not a traitor or anything' on loop. He hadn't even had the heart to wave away her words then- how could he confess all this?

"Who destroyed Jadis's wand and practically died in the process." The Gentle said, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. "You know you have to."

"She's your wife, Edmund. I'm not married and nor do I want to be- but you two are taking this too lightly." Lucy said earnestly. "You two are joined in holy matrimony- together, by each other's side till death do you part- your hearts and souls should be linked. But they aren't."

"We don't want them to be." Edmund spoke, his voice going hoarse, getting to his feet. "They aren't going to be- we aren't in love and nor will we be."

"Not with that attitude, you won't."

"I can't be in love." He shook his head, admitting to the root of the problem for the first time. "I don't deserve to be in love- married or not."

"You've redeemed yourself, Ed-" Susan spoke, her voice trembling as she fought the urge to cry- why, why, why, why did her baby brother have to be like this?

"By winning a few battles? By killing more people? By not running Narnia into the ground in the few years I've been one of her Rulers?" He asked sardonically, scoffing. "I've done nothing to atone for my sins. Nothing at all."