Chapter 34- Identitatem

Identitatem

Latin

Identity

-

A youth and yet not a youth.

beautiful servant of noisy loves

-

"Woo, you're on ti- Queen Susan!" Aura immediately scrambled up from the sofa, which she had been lounging on in a very unprofessional manner. "I- I- I wasn't exp- I'm so sorry-"

"It's alright, Nurse." Susan wasn't completely certain what her name was and decided not to use it altogether. "I actually was sent by whom you were expecting- King Peter sends his apologies, but he won't be able to attend your...lessons today."

Of course she didn't enjoy being used as a telegram service and she also wasn't sure if they truly did study or if Peter was just fooling about with the girl, but she was a good sister and no one to judge any- if there were any- carnal relations her siblings got up to.

"Oh- oh." The news disappointed her more than she thought it would have- more than it should have. But- in the month that she had been tutoring Peter, he hadn't missed class once. Been late often, yes, but completely missed a lesson, no. "Thank you for informing me, Your Majesty." She said quickly, remembering her manners, and curtseyed.

"Of course." The Gentle smiled, before looking at the dozen or so books piled beside Aura. "You like reading?"

"N- not really, Your Majesty, but I love learning and if the way to do so is by reading, so be it." Aura was about to shrug before stopping herself. One did not shrug in front of the Queen. "I'll take your leave-"

"No, no, please stay. Peter being busy shouldn't hinder your attainment of knowledge. I give you full permission to use this Library, whenever you wish to."

"That's really not necessary-"

"I insist." The Queen said, before frowning, "Apart from King Edmund and Queen Sanya, I don't think anyone else even steps into this place most of the time- it's good if someone gets some use out of it."

"I really don't think-"

"I insist." Susan repeated and Aura was reminded of Peter saying, 'I'm the High King, I say what's proper and what isn't, and I decree this as utterly proper.'
Well, they were siblings, similarities were bound to be there.

"I- I- then, thank you, Your Majesty." She really was honoured- and touched, but she felt that saying so would be improper. "Um- do you like reading?"

Susan noted the desperate attempt at continuing the conversation but managed not to tut or laugh.
"It does pass the time, Nurse. And it's a more enjoyable hobby than some, so yes, I like reading." She answered instead.

"Oh, please call me Aura, Your Majesty. 'Nurse' isn't who I am, it's just my job- and my profession doesn't denote my identity."

Susan's eyebrows rose a little at the firmness of her tone, but she had to admit that her view wasn't at all wrong.
"That's a wonderful thought to have. And it's true- one simple thing about you isn't all of you."

"Exactly." Aura smiled, and hoped it was the polite one she bestowed upon strangers, whiny patients and employers instead of the too-big grin she gave her friends.

"I should go now, I have my sister-in-law's dress fitting to get to." It was common knowledge in Cair that King Edmund and his wife would be renewing their vows, but what nobody knew was when.