Never Kiss And Tell - 10

I procrastinated a project for this. Feel loved. There's a note at the end that you should readdd! It's for you guys, not me, ahah. Love ya! Enjoy!

Chapter 10

                I bit my lip as Nate neared my house. The lights were off, and I was just hoping that meant my parents were still asleep. All I wanted to do was slip into the house quietly and make my way up to my room unnoticed. I was expecting my mother to yell at me, to hold no punches.

                She would tell me how wrong it was of me to run away like that last night and not call or let her know that I was okay. She’d probably say that she and my dad had been worried sick.

                “I’ll see you later,” I told Nate as he parked the car in my driveway.

                He pulled me into a tight hug before kissing my temple. I smiled sheepishly at him as he let go of me before sliding out of his truck and walking over to my front porch. I unlocked the door, not hearing any noises from inside. Hopefully that was a good sign.

                I slipped inside of the house as quietly as possible. I locked the door behind me, wincing as the floor creaked beneath my feet. So much for being as quiet as a mouse. Nevertheless, no other movement could be heard in the house as I made my way up the stairs to my room.

                I was glad to see that Caroline had left my house. My room was quiet, dark, and empty. It reflected my feelings perfectly.

                I glided over to my bed, picking up the stuffed animal that I always kept on it. It may have seemed childish and unlike my personality, but it had been a present from him. Back when we were younger and stuffed animals were basically the best present ever. I always preferred them over a Barbie.

                “He was so proud of himself when he picked out that stuffed animal. Especially after you opened it and your eyes lit up with joy. I think that’s one of my favorite moments of you two together,” my mom’s voice broke through the silence in my room.

                She didn’t seem angry, though. She was concerned. I wasn’t sure if she understood where I was coming from, but I could already tell that she was trying. I knew she and dad missed him, too, but for some reason I just always felt like I was the one that missed him most. Like I was the one that was hurt the most. Because unlike my parents, he was always there for me.

                When I got a cut on my leg, I would go to him, not my mom. When I would wake up from a nightmare, I would run into his room and curl up beside him. When I needed to cross the road, I would grab his hand, not my mom or dad’s. I could tell him all of my secrets and know that no one else would hear about them.

                But then it was as if I had died, too. For the longest time everything around me was just a blur. My emotions were numb. I was numb. I didn’t speak, I didn’t feel. I didn’t acknowledge the people around me. I was just an empty body.

                “Mine too,” my voice cracked as I referred to my mom’s reminiscent on that cherished memory.

                My mom walked over to the side of my bed, sitting down in front of where I was lying.

                “I know you miss him, sweetie. So do I. So does your father. So do Nate and Caroline. But if you keep acting like he’s still here, you’re just going to make this harder,” my mom’s voice was soft, the way it should have been all throughout my childhood.