Never Kiss And Tell - 14

later than expected, I know, but THANK YOU ALL for 30k reads (: 
I seriously love you all and hope you enjoy this chapter. 

PICTURE OF CAROLINE ON THE SIDE. SHE'S SO PRETTTTY.  

Chapter 14

                “Spill,” Caroline said, plopping down in the seat as she placed her lunch across from me on the table. 

                I was in a daze, playing with the pasta on my plate aimlessly with my fork. I wasn’t even looking at it, rather staring at the center of the oval table in the school’s cafeteria. She was the first to join me, causing me to jump slightly at her words. 

                Blinking as my eyes focused on her, all I could come up with was, “What?”

                She laughed at me, answering, “I said spill. You’ve got a boy on your mind and I want to know who’s got my best friend under their spell.”

                Oh no you don’t, I thought, knowing full well that it was her brother that had me under his spell. 

                After our fantastic date, we kept it pg, settling on a light peck or two. Or ten. But the best part, was only giving Nate a peck and it sufficing for the night. I had been fascinated, not knowing what this new, mysterious territory was. I had never felt that way, and it scared the shit out of me. 

                Biting my lip, I finally replied back to Caroline, saying, “Oh it’s no one. Just some hottie that was playing hard to get.”

                It was probably the lamest excuse that I had ever come up with, but I knew that Nate and I still needed to discuss whatever we were. And whether or not telling Caroline- much less people- was a wise decision. Hopefully we’d do it soon, too, because lying to my best friend was beginning to take it’s toll. 

                Though I’m sure Caroline didn’t feel the same way, I was definitely feeling more distant from her. I’m sure in her naive state that she couldn’t tell the difference, but it didn’t mean that I didn’t know I wasn’t telling her everything. And even that was enough to make me feel guilty. Another mysterious territory that scared me far worse than the other one. 

                Caroline scoffed at me, rolling her eyes and adding, “Yeah right. Whatever, I’m sure you’ll tell me all about them.” 

                I wasn’t sure why she dropped the subject until various people began pilling into the seats at the table. It wasn’t like I talked to most of them on a regular basis, just the casual small talk. I didn’t even know why they sat with us, until Nate sat down right beside me and I was reminded of who Caroline’s brother was. And who mine was. 

                Occasionally I’d still get the pity look- the one where people look at you like a starved puppy that they wished they could help, but they just weren’t sure the best way to go about it. Those looks made me want to vomit every time, not just because it’d remind me of Trevor, but also because I despised pity. 

                The loss of Trevor made me stronger if anything. For other people to look down on me like I was weak made me sick to my stomach. I hated that feeling. 

                I was pulled out of reverie by Nate casually sliding his index finger along my thigh. Just enough to make me giddy with excitement but not enough to make others notice. Chills ran up my spine, and I shook my head slightly to regain focus on everyone and not just Nate. I needed to make sure this wasn’t obvious. His actions or my reactions.