Chapter XVII: Two Ghosts

"I'm heading out," Liam said. "Don't go anywhere fun without me."

"Yeah, yeah," Niall mumbled as he ate some cereal, with milk dribbling off his chin.

"You better not," Liam said, shooting a glance at Selena.

"Have fun at work," Selena just smiled at him and waved.

Liam rolled his eyes before he left.

Selena made sure Liam was already a few blocks away when she said, "Wanna come with me?"

"Where?"

"Gonna pick up our IDs today."

"Sure. Want some?" Niall offered some cereal.

"Okay," she shrugged.

Niall took a spoonful and fed it to her.

"Are we out of cereal that you're sharing one bowl," Harry frowned from the doorway.

Selena ignored him, "Niall and I are going out later. We'll be back before it gets dark."

"I don't have work today," Harry said, leaning on the wall with his arms crossed.

Liam and Harry had both gotten jobs at different tattoo parlors in the area. It was a good cover to look for the next Keyper, after all.

They had been staying in Cambridge for almost two months now without any leads at all. They couldn't enter parts of the university without proper IDs and it was troublesome trying to stay away from places that might blow off their cover.

Selena knew someone who could help them but it took her a while to find him as well. It also took some time to procure what they needed.

Selena raised an eyebrow as if asking him, "So what?"

Harry sighed, "Nevermind."

Selena had put up her walls even higher after their first night in that house. She and Niall usually stayed home. They had all agreed it was best that she didn't go out much, especially in a place where she might run into people who knew her.

She agreed when Liam brought up how she could put them in potential danger when that happened.

Niall stayed home with her as her guard. Harry wanted to do it but Selena was so against it that he just gave in and let Niall do it.

Harry wanted to know why. He wanted to ask her but the more he pressed, the more she cocooned herself.

She spent the day doing something around the house, repairing something with Niall or painting rooms, that she'd fall in bed exhausted when night came.

It was the only way she could ward off the ghost that this house brought her.

Harry and Niall worried about her. Even Liam did. But she wouldn't tell them what was wrong. She'd always get snappy and snarl back at them.

So they just let it go.

Harry hoped she'd tell him when she was ready.

"Take the SUV," Harry said, tossing the keys to her.

"Thanks," Selena said.

She didn't like how Harry looked at her - like she was glass that would break any moment. It made her angrier.

Not at Harry but to herself. She was better than this. She didn't want to be like this. But every corner of this house, no matter how much she fixed and changed it, still reminded her of what happened that night.

And it was just too much for her sometimes. He would creep up in her dreams and blame her. Rosie would join him sometimes and their haunting voices would echo through her nightmares.